Review of The Rake vs Dogman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of The Rake vs Dogman

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rake vs Dogman" by Tim Sonski.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Two bounty hunters, Travis and Murray, are half-siblings who get to catch culprits and bring them to justice. Even with contrasting personalities, the duo works well and gets paid for their services. Mississippi Town sheriff hires the siblings to catch an unknown monster that's been annihilating people, livestock, and animals as large as horses. The job seems easy at first, but Murray changes her mind when she encounters the gigantic monster in person.

In the line of duty, Murray collides with Officer Nate Dixon, with whom they have a conflicting past. While the two have issues to sort out, Nate chooses to make his grudge against Murray a priority before handling the emergency concerns— catching the monster! Murray experiences the challenges of fighting the creature, dealing with an unexpected tragedy, and facing the brutal Dixon. Things get more heated when two innocent hikers, Janine and Holly, are trapped with Murray, Dixon, and Travis in the fight against the monster!

I loved it the most when Nate came into the picture. He was brutal and intolerant. His vicious nature gave me chills and had me wondering who his next victim would be. To add a hunch, Dixon killed at least two people and was unremorseful about the ordeals.

I enjoyed how Murray never gave up on anyone. And while her personality was known for being callous and impenetrable, inside her was a soft, loving, and emotionally involved lady. Her feminine self was magnetic and enjoyable to read.

There were fight scenes between the people and numerous gigantic monsters. Some died while some bodies were mercilessly split into halves by the monsters. The details are explicit. They will take a strong-willed heart to even mouth the happenings. The inhumanity and use of expletives are not for children or anyone below 18.

I found no aspect to despise. Furthermore, I found a few grammatical errors. Therefore, The Rake vs Dogman by Tim Sonski is well edited. I award it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend the volume to lovers of action and fictional novels.

The Rake vs Dogman
View: on Bookshelves
Last edited by Sarah Belle on 24 Oct 2022, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: this review contained multiple spoilers!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The monsters and their ways seem horrible. It is, however, just a book. It's interesting how the humans handle it.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

I really enjoy when books include characters that aren't very likable as I feel it adds a relatable layer. Thanks for a great review!
Christiana Eno-obong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christiana-eno-obong.html
Latest Review: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel by Bernard Heys

Post by Christiana Eno-obong »

I just love bounty hunters. Your review is really quite detailed and I love the structure.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”