Review of Cursing the Darkness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of Cursing the Darkness

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cursing the Darkness" by Rex W Last.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cursing the Darkness by Rex W Last is a novel that centres on a group of individuals who decide to come together to stand against the continuous dominance of the Nazi regime. These individuals include Dr Johann and his wife Rudi, whose sister has been sexually assaulted by a Brownshirt, Max, chief curator of the city’s museum and art galleries and Thomas, chief engineer of the city’s transport system, who is traumatised by the SS cover-up for killing a young Jewish girl. Together, this group of five embark on a series of missions; however, this doesn’t come without a cost. With a looming death threat on one of their members and the abduction of another member, will this group be able to continue their fight for freedom?

If there is one thing I absolutely loved in this book, it has to be the character of Rudi. I loved the fact that he could mimic anybody without anyone suspecting it. This talent of his helped the team a lot of times in carrying out their mission successfully. I would love to commend the author for writing a well-detailed novel, as he left no stone unturned in his descriptions. From giving a well-detailed description of his characters' features to extensively explaining the events that took place in this novel, the author allowed for perfect imagery, which made the book a more exciting read. I also loved the fact that some of Germany's culture was portrayed in this book. The author's diction is quite commendable. The book was written in simple language that an average man could easily understand. I found no errors in the book, so it's safe to say that the editor did a phenomenal job.

On the things I didn't really appreciate about this book, I expected more from it in terms of actions the team could have taken to put an end to the Nazi government. I also found it challenging to keep up with the names and titles of other characters in the novel aside from the team.

If I'm being honest, my negative points aren't strong enough to warrant the deduction of a star, so I rate Cursing the Darkness by Rex W Last 4 out of 4 stars. Like I already hinted, it is exceptionally well edited.

I recommend Cursing the Darkness by Rex W Last to readers who are interested in thriller novels centred on the struggle for freedom from oppression and dominance.

Cursing the Darkness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The time period centering on Nazi Germany is one of my favorites. How so many people could be convinced to go along with something so heinous is fascinating to me. I am also very intrigued by the descriptions included.
maycherono91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maycherono91.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by maycherono91 »

The setting of the book is the selling point for me. Great review. I would like to get my hands on this book.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It sounds like this team of five has their work cut out for them in their struggle for freedom from oppression and dominance. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

The author's narrative style draws my attention to the book. As much as I am not a fan of historical fiction, I feel this book was well written, and I would love to read it.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

This book revolves around the ordeals of the ones who are standing against the actions of the Nazis. I love the plot and the storyline, and I'd love to read this book. Thanks for your honest review
Bri Denzel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-denzel.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Bri Denzel »

Great storyline. I'd love to know if the group will be able to continue their fight for freedom. Good job.
Itz Savaga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bright-ukaegbu.html
Latest Review: Parent-Child Guide To Coping with Anxiety by Dessy Marinova

Post by Itz Savaga »

Thriller novels always present an intriguing read. I'd love to check this one out when I find time between reviews. Well done.
nwankwo chibuchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-chibuchi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by nwankwo chibuchi »

Thriller novels centred on the struggle for freedom from oppression and dominance will be great reads.
Alexander C Schmoock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Readers who are interested in thriller novels centred on the struggle for freedom from oppression and dominance will enjoy reading this book
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting novel set in Nazi Germany, where freedom is a dream and oppression is the norm, so it offers adventure and food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prosper2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prosper2000.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Prosper2000 »

I'd love to know if the group were able to continue their fight of freedom. I loved your review. Well done.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”