Review of Ordeal Therapy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Review of Ordeal Therapy

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ordeal Therapy" by Robert Julian Hafner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ordeal Therapy by R. Julian Hafner is a thrilling novel told from the point of view of psychiatrist turned fugitive George Milton. An Englishman living in London, George's life and practice took a drastic turn when Julia Richmond walked into his life. He felt himself getting attracted to her, but unknown to him, that feeling of attraction would come at a very hefty price.

This book is a very exciting thriller, filled with various twists and turns. This is one of the positive aspects of the book. The author uses the weapon of suspense against the reader, making the latter more invested in finding out more about how the story will play out. This book makes excellent use of suspense.

Another positive aspect of this book is the use of dialogue. The author uses dialogue to fill the reader in on some events that have occurred in the absence of the protagonist since the book is told from a single point of view. This gives the reader full knowledge of events that occurred, even though the hero was absent.

Another positive aspect of this book is that it is highly informative. One of the underlying focuses of this book is the psychology of man. The author educates the reader on various forms of human behavior that are alien to most. For instance, the author mentions psychological conditions like agoraphobia, which is the fear of open spaces or crowds, and even autoerotic asphyxia, which is a form of pleasure one gives to himself under high-risk situations. This educates the reader on these relatively unknown behaviors some people possess.

This book is filled with words that are very difficult for the average person to understand. I feel this is one of the negative aspects of the book. For instance, words like inanely and pygmy, among others, make reading this book a family herculean task, as one has to consult the dictionary to find out the meaning of these words or risk reading without understanding.

Filled with numerous errors, this book was not edited or proofread by an individual with a deep understanding of the English language. In some instances, in a bid to insert an apostrophe, a comma was put instead. This serves as a huge turn-off to reading this book. This is one negative aspect of the book.

I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have rated this book higher if it wasn't filled with so many errors. I will recommend this book to all who enjoy thrillers and conspiracy books.

Ordeal Therapy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Wow! This book seems to be filled with many positives and just a few, relatively speaking, negatives. I really like suspense and thrilling actions. It looks to be filled with numerous opportunities for learning. So much so, that I think I can live with the many errors.
Amina Grobbelaar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Devil amongst us
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-grobbelaar.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Amina Grobbelaar »

I enjoyed your review and will add this to my shelves. I enjoy action, thrillers crime and suspense and having a psychological perspective also sounds interesting.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I like that the readers are unable to guess the next twist of the story. Kudos! To the author. However, the numerous errors can discourage one from reading this great book.
Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-amarachi-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Operation November Blizzard by Stephen Snow (penname)

Post by Favour Amarachi Mgbeoji »

I like that this book has many positive aspects. They sparked my interest in the book. However, the fact that you found many errors in this book is discouraging. Anyways thank you for your review.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

I love exciting thrillers like this. I would love to learn how the story ended. What price did George have to pay for getting attracted to Julia? Thank you for this lovely review.
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

I wonder what happened. Often times, I have heard that people tend to fall in love with their therapist. It may be the reverse in this case.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

What's a good novel without suspense? I love books that keep me guessing while I read. The storyline of the book is superb. I want to read the book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller with many positive elements, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions for the book's readers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chris Alex Powell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-alex-powell.html
Latest Review: Ten Assholes and a Curmudgeon by Bruce Workman

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

Wowwwwww! The summary left me wanting to read more. Murder mystery? I wonder what led to a psychiatrist becoming a fugitive. I can't wait to unravel the mysteries that this book seems to have. Thank you for the review.
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

The presence of errors which you noted may be a bit of a turn off. However, I will still give this a read. The storyline is intriguing and I love suspense in novels. Thank you for the review. I hope the book gets re-edited.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”