Review of I Kept a Piece of You

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of I Kept a Piece of You

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Kept a Piece of You" by Joanna Wolford.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Kept a Piece of You was a story filled with suspenseful, thrilling, and creepy moments — a classic blend of fictional horror and drama. It was a fictional story of a family whose lives were turned around after the death of their mother. Gabe had to live with the guilt of his dead wife, Eleanor. His two sons, Alex and Eric, were also affected in different ways by Eleanor's demise. While Eric took the incident in his stride, Alex became a serial killer several years after their mother's death. Would they ever recover from the effects of Eleanor's death?

There were many things to take away from this book. Generally, I loved the story's progression. I liked how the author started the book with the broken home of Gabe and his wife, the rift between the siblings, and how the situation developed as the years passed.

The first few chapters were not gratifying enough. I thought they were relatively dull compared to the latter parts of the book, where it was fun and exciting. This reduced my interest at first. However, things got heated and dramatic as I read along. Ultimately, the story's pace wasn't consistent, and the flow fluctuated at some points.

One significant aspect of this book is its unpredictability. I didn't expect the outcome of some events. It added to the tension of the story's settings, making the book more fascinating to horror-genre aficionados. The author developed complex situations in which the protagonists and antagonists were not exactly known, allowing the reader to choose a side. Also, Joanna Wolford did justice to the descriptions of settings and events. Her narration style was suited for the intended audience. There were graphic violence, profanities, and sexual content, which would bode well with the fans of this genre (young adults or more mature readers).

The author's character development was excellent. Only a few characters were introduced, but they were interesting. Also, the chief characters' developments were commendable. The author's writing style was unique. Reading this book absorbed me totally into the author's world, as she fed me with gracefully horrifying imaginations.

Writing from different points of view was no easy feat, but the author did a spectacular job on that aspect. This would give readers many perspectives to conclude from and increase the story's creativity.

Apart from the fluctuation in the pace, I found nothing else off-putting. The editing was okay, considering the minimal errors. Therefore, I'd give I Kept a Piece of You a 4 out of 4. I'd recommend it to mature readers fascinated with the horror genre.

I Kept a Piece of You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

This book looks interesting from the review above. And the storyline is my kind of story. Adding it to my shelf for future reading ASAP.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

The death of loved ones can be so devastating most times, at this point, one needs to let go of the past and move on.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 84381
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1196%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

It affects everyone especially his son Alex I like this book and I will recommend 📚📖✅
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

The fact that this book has a blend of horror makes me want to read it. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”