Review of Somebody Wants To Kill Me

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jodeci 007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodeci-007.html
Latest Review: Inspiring Moments by Crystal Holdipp

Review of Somebody Wants To Kill Me

Post by Jodeci 007 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Somebody Wants To Kill Me" by Richard Rees.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a re-review of Somebody Wants To Kill Me by Richard Rees.

Just after the recently married Karen Archer visits her parents' graves in Wisconsin, she finds herself in a high-speed chase, with someone in a black jeep trying to run her off the road. In a dramatic series of events, her husband, Paul, and a couple of passersby come to her aid while she almost drowns in a pond that swallows both her car and the chaser's car. Nonetheless, Karen is far from safe, as the presumed dead chaser of unknown identity sends multiple messages confirming his intent to make Karen suffer and die for past sins. The question of whose past sins hangs in the air. Is it Karen's overbearing and abusive late father's sins, Paul's sins, or Karen's sins? Paul and Karen conclude that the best option is to remain at home and use Karen as bait to catch the killer with the help of Morgan, Paul's friend, Sam, a detective from Chicago, Susan, Karen's cousin, and Michael, an ex-marine and Karen's ex-boyfriend. However, the thought that each person helping, including her husband Paul, has a reason to kill her puts Karen in a precarious situation.

Somebody Wants To Kill Me by Richard Rees is a tension-filled mystery novel that I could not get enough of, for the most part. The author plays to his strengths in piecing this intriguing novel together, and one evident strength from the first page of the book is his ability to thrust readers into scenes by employing detailed descriptions. I could feel everything the characters experienced in the story, from the cold winds of northern Wisconsin to the emotions that drove the characters to act in the way that they did.

The author has assembled an intriguing set of unique characters that make the story very memorable. In this mystery novel, it is interesting to see that everybody is a suspect. Karen has reason to believe that Paul may want her dead for her money, Michael clearly still harbors ill feelings for losing Karen, and secrets are continuously revealed as the story progresses. At some point, I even wondered if Karen herself was a suspect, staging a dangerous situation for an unknown reason. I can confirm that you will hardly figure out the culprit(s) until they are revealed. However, I did have fun playing detective with the information that was gradually given.

Richard Rees took a lot of time to add depth to the characters, especially Karen, who I could relate with on so many levels, considering her struggles to break out of her evil father's shadow. Most of the characters felt like real people. Nonetheless, this meant that the story was mostly slow-paced, and readers would have to be patient to get to more exciting parts.

Somebody Wants To Kill Me is also a professionally edited read. The book expertly channels all the elements that make for a quality mystery novel. All things considered, I rate this novel four out of four stars. The book contains profanity and sexual content; therefore, mature readers who enjoy suspenseful mystery novels will thoroughly enjoy reading this book.

Somebody Wants To Kill Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kensgarment odogwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kensgarment-odogwu.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by kensgarment odogwu »

Wow... This is one of those reviews that interesting captures all an inquisitive reader would want to know about a book. I would want to know more about Karen. Nice review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

What has Karen done that makes so many people want to kill her? 🤔 It's got to be really difficult to live daily that wants you dead.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

In the modern world, life insurance policies can be the source of all evil!
It's interesting how friends and exes of the same woman can be under one roof protection the same interest. Just shows how men can be loyal especially under nail-biting experiences to put away differences despite being called all sorts of stuff.
It should a be a great reading this one.
Niquenya Collins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Niquenya Collins »

This book sounds suspenseful and full of drama. Yes! Give me all the edge of my seat drama. I'm okay with it moving slow eith a meaty story and good character development as is described here. I'm patient!
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Good review! Karen thought someone wanted to kill her and her husband and friends set her up at home as bait? Unwise, but sets the story up as a great "whosgonnadoit?"
Doris Nzeket
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doris-nzeket.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Doris Nzeket »

Life could have been very very difficult for Karen. Being surrounded by suspects 24/7 is not a pretty experience. Interesting review.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Quite the thriller. I hope this is a lead to a more grasping story. I do love this certain genre because of the suspense and scare. What does Karen have to hide? This is a very detailed review. Thanks for the recommendation.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
UcheNduka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchenduka.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by UcheNduka »

This sounds quite intriguing and full of suspense.
It's very easy to see everyone as suspect in this type of scenario.
I would really love to know who the suspect is, eventually.
Great review by the way.
Jenny1372000
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenny1372000 »

The novel is full of mystery and suspence. Living a life in which you don't know when you'll get killed. Indeed we'll have to be patients, untill we get to know the actual suspect.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

Karen is an intriguing character. I want to know more about how she got to be a target for murder. I am putting this on my bookshelf.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a well-constructed mystery full of suspense that makes me curious about discovering what happened to Karen and why she became the target of a killer. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 494
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maduabuchi-eze.html
Latest Review: EXXXXCUUUUUSE ME? A Satire on Publishing by Richard Stephenson

Post by Maduabuchi Okwiya N Eze »

I can sense already that "Somebody Wants To Kill Me" is filled with suspense. The situation surrounding the threat to Karen's life is quite difficult to guess, given that there are "generously enough" persons and factors to suspect, and the ride to find out the culprit or culprits is sure to thrill readers.
Chubiojo Osayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chubiojo-osayi.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chubiojo Osayi »

This is a really nice review. The book really is suspense filled, I think that Karen should keep suspecting the people around her and maintain her distance until they find the real culprit. But what did she do to warrant being killed?
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

Great review! This books sounds really interesting with the fact that there may be more than one person who wants Karen dead. I'd love to read the book to find out who wanted Karen dead and why. Truly interesting.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”