Review of The Names We Go By

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of The Names We Go By

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Names We Go By" by Tyler Patrick Wood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kip's father, the preacher, had just died. Before Benard Liard passed on, he revealed that Kip wasn't his biological son. One thing Kip knows is that Loot Moreno, the famous killer, brought him to church as a kid and left him with Benard.

Sybille is the daughter of Marshal Fallstead. She has heard tales about his "glory days"; these were times when he ripped the organs of his victims apart. She prayed to see him just like that again, but can she handle it? With dangerous pasts, Loot and Fallstead are determined to end each other. Kip, raised by a preacher, and Sybille, raised by a killer, may have different paths, but they share a connection, which they are yet to find out.

The Names We Go By by Tyler Patrick Wood is a thrilling read. The subplots in this book ensured that it was far from being boring or monotonous. The characters had different relationships with one another, so there was more than a single story going on with each character. I found this intriguing, and this kept me interested till the very end of this book. Most action or crime books fall into the trap of overwhelming the reader with too many scenes going on at the same time or too many characters to read about. However, this book was quite different. I must say the author did a great job. I'm not sure how this was done, but I didn't feel overwhelmed. The different lines of action were enough to keep me interested, and I didn't get distracted. The setting of the book was also beautifully done. It gave me the feeling of seeing a movie from the 1900s.

I got to understand the implication of the title of this book, and it made a lot of sense. Both Loot and Fallstead had taken different identities, which I will allow you to discover by yourself. It was interesting to find out their real identities. I enjoyed the way the suspense in this book was revealed; it was satisfying. The amount of detail and information made my reading experience worth it. The writing style was creative and interesting. There were times I had to read a line again to understand what was said. Whenever I did, I marveled at how the author had hidden such information within those words. This wasn't a book to be rushed. It was intelligently written. I didn't just enjoy the storyline, but the entire process of reading this book was a beautiful journey.

This book was perfectly edited, as I didn't encounter any errors. The only negative aspect is the book cover. I wish it was more attractive and revealing. Nothing about the cover seemed like a fit for the interesting story I read. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a great read. I am not deducting a star because every other aspect was perfect.

I recommend this book to lovers of crime thrillers. Readers should be warned that there are some gruesome details of violence in this book.

The Names We Go By
View: on Bookshelves
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Raymond, your review has captured my interest in this book! I will likely pick this book up and see what happened to Loot, Fallstead, Sybille, and Kip. I like that the story is complex but not overwhelming.
Penny Ann Criswell Johnson
Favorite Book: Totem
Currently Reading: Snatched up to heaven
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-ann-criswell-johnson.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Penny Ann Criswell Johnson »

It sounds like the author is very talented. He has managed to put a twist on the story that makes me want to read it now. I love when there is a golden nugget hidden that needs revealed. Great Review!
Juliet Keith
Currently Reading: Think and Live Longer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-keith.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Juliet Keith »

I'm adding this to my bookshelf right away. The plot is enthralling and the fact that there are no spelling errors is a huge motivation for me to read the book. I like crime thrillers with well developed plots, there is nothing like the suspense feeling throughout the book.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

Kip and Sybille have a long way to go, and I'd love to know the story ends for each of them. Good storyline. Thanks for your honest review.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83952
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1153%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

The quiet frontier settlement of thunder Hill become an unlikely rendezvous for legendary outlaws following the death of the town preacher
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an exciting crime thriller full of twists and surprises, especially concerning its protsgonists. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Amanda Pearcy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-pearcy.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Amanda Pearcy »

The title of the book drew me in and then your review made me more interested. I will soon be adding this book to my bookshelves. I enjoy suspense novels and this sounds like it's full of twists and turns that will keep me on my toes. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”