Review of Crematorium

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Review of Crematorium

Post by Jelly_J »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Crematorium" by Marilyn Benner Sowyak.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Crematorium is a psychological crime thriller written by Marilyn Benner Sowyak. It revolves around the life of Maggie Bennett, an E.R. nurse at St. Vincent's hospital, and her mission to resolve the state of difficulty that had recently occurred to her. Maggie had been married to Kale, but he had left her after six months with a ton of debt and no explanation. She immersed herself in work to deal with her pain. Her peace is disturbed the day a patient of hers, tagged "Trauma Scott" because he had no identification, dies under her watch gruesomely. Immediately following this incident, her attorney visited to notify her of her husband's death; apparently, his car brakes had failed.

Detective Hanes seems to believe that these deaths were an act of homicide, but he lacks the evidence to further the case. On the other hand, Maggie has found some evidence to connect "Trauma Scott" to her husband; she believes that someone wanted them dead. When strange events start happening around her, she believes that this "someone" might also be after her. To know more about how Maggie handles the investigation, tackles her foes, and possibly finds love again, do pick up this book.

Reading Crematorium was a beautiful experience. The book turned out to be a perfect blend of suspense, action, mystery, and humor. Throughout its three-hundred-and-six pages, there was no dull moment. From the moment I started reading, I was hooked; myriad emotions ran through me; sometimes I was sad, and other times I was happy that things seemed to be going Maggie's way. Marilyn told the story from the third-person narrative, centering on the lives of Maggie, Benny, Sam, and Ivan; I enjoyed this as I had an overview of the character's actions as they unfolded. The grammar was relatable; I was scared there'd be many medical terms in the book, but this was not the case. Although this book was fictional, its themes were realistic; its plot also had depth.

The only thing I disliked about the book was the arrangement. The book's chapters were too short; I saw some with just three pages at one point. I did not appreciate that, as it only broke the flow of my reading. Every other thing in the book was presented well, from the character development to the storyline. I liked that the end was not predictable. In all, it was an intriguing read. I spotted only two errors while reading; they did not interfere with my reading experience.

For its beautiful storyline and realistic themes, Crematorium by Marilyn Benner Sowyak deserves a perfect rating of 4 out of 4. I recommend this to readers who love to read crime and action thrillers, detective stories, and psychological thrillers. Readers who enjoy books with complex plots would find this worth their time.

Crematorium
View: on Bookshelves
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

This sounds like an interesting book. However, it doesn't pique my interest. I think I'll pass on this one. Thank you for your insightful review.
It was captivating.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This is indeed a book that promises rollercoaster of emotions. The suspense seems captivating with the introduction of 'someone' who could also be after Maggie's life. This book is the kind of my book. And I enjoyed reading your review.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Wow, this book sounds interesting and emotional, by your description I perceive that the book will be appealing. Great review.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

This sounds exciting. Very exciting. A plot of mystery and sadness. Nice review. I would love to look into this book.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I feel bad for Maggie. We all have times when it seems like nothing we do turns out right. I wonder about the connection between "Trauma Scott" and Kale
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Crime, mystery, and suspense are one of my favorite genres. Your review interests me in Maggie's story and in finding out why she thought Trauma Scott's death was related to her husband's. I have also never heard of a person named "Kale."
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Seems there's a lot of mystery to unravel in life of Maggie. Sounds like an interesting book. A perfect blend of suspense, mystery, action, and humor will of course be a good read. Thanks for the review.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

I enjoyed reading your review. The deaths happening around Kale are intriguing enough to read about. I also like that the book engages a reader's emotions.
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

The book's title and cover page are intriguing. I'd really like to get into its contents. Thanks for the well-written review.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I'm glad that the length of this book didn't alter its quality content. All of the themes included in this book at amazing. Thanks for the review.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

Thank you for a great review and for pointing out that the book is a perfect blend of suspense, action, mystery, and humor. That will be a good read, I can tell. I hope Maggie will manage to come out of all those problems.
Amarachi Nwankwo03
Currently Reading: Summer Showers
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarachinwankwo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amarachi Nwankwo03 »

I absolutely love psychological thrillers and this one sounds amazing! A good psychological thriller keeps you hooked till the very last page. Thank you for your review. I’d be checking this one out.
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

This book is a 5 starts read!!. From the first chapter it already hooks you and you want to know what will happen next!
There’re so many mysteries, our main character Maggie spends surrounded by deaths, but lately things in her life are starting to get out of control, what was the real reason for the death of one of her patients? why Kale, her husband abandoned her from one moment to another? what happened to him? We will follow Maggie in this adventure full of secrets, and plot twists that you could not imagine.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

In every crime case, it is necessary to have reasonable evidence that will to make investigations easy. I'd love to read this book so as to know how the detective solved the case. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”