Review of The Problem Solver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tony Official
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tony-official.html
Latest Review: America’s Loveless Age: Trumpism, FemPower, the End of Patriarchy by Noel Terry

Review of The Problem Solver

Post by Tony Official »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Problem Solver" by Steve Pyne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Problem Solver by Steve Pyne is a book that tells the story of a man, Frankie Tecano, who had glossed over mentioning a few details from his and his wife, Maria's past when they applied to live in an exclusive community that frowned upon her previous lifestyle. However, when Dakota Gaits, the security agent who is in charge of security for the community, discovers what he had done rather than report him, she recruits him to work for her in a case that contains so many conspiracies and powerful people. Frankie must do everything possible to work with Dakota without Maria finding out. Can Frankie keep another secret from his wife?

This book is filled with suspense. This is one of the most important positive aspects of the book. The writer keeps dropping tiny bits of one story or event and continues leaving the reader wondering how it will end, only ending it when he seems fit. This leaves readers glued on to see how it all pans out.

Another positive aspect of this book is the use of words. The author makes use of words that are relatively easy for the average person to understand. This makes reading the book a leisure affair as one does not have to consult the dictionary to learn the meaning of what is being said in the book.

One negative aspect of this book is that while the author tries to use suspense as a key weapon to hold on tight to the reader, at the end of the day, some details are left untold. For instance, there was no clear mention of how the relationship between Horton Shooter and Dakota Gaits had been. One would guess it was a little bit more than formal, but there is no clear mention of this in the book. This leaves the reader trying to fill in the blanks. This is the only negative aspect of the book.

This book contains quite a number of errors. While the errors are small, the errors contained appear to be amateurish. For instance, on more than one occasion, the author meant to say "Your" but instead wrote, "you're." This shows that even though the book had been proofread, it had not been proofread deeply and properly.

Also, the book contains a few profanities, but the few which appear, appear quite a few times.

I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have rated this book higher but for the aforementioned negative aspects and the errors contained. I will, however, state that this book is an excellent read, and I would recommend this book to all who enjoy thrillers and books involving crime. I would also recommend this book to lovers of fictional works involving corporate espionage.

The Problem Solver
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

The storyline is interesting and element of suspense was maintained. It wouldn't make a bad read. Thank you for your review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am pretty sure that keeping secrets from your spouse is not a good way to run a marriage. Also, the kind of errors that you mentioned are one of my pet peeves.
Ikechukwu Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwu-blessing.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ikechukwu Blessing »

Am anxious about Frankie working with Dakota without his wife finding out...I wonder if it could be possible.Nice review.
CharlesC+Esq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesc-esq.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CharlesC+Esq »

Perusing through the review and comments below it, and the comparing with the title of the book, I wouldn't be far from the truth to say some character in the book is rather be called a problem starter.
It's not necessarily a treat to keep readers glued in suspense only to end up in an anticlimax, as that will end up that author flagged.
Maybe it's a good reading, though I am not a fan of fiction, used to like science fiction until COVID-19 (84) became reality. All the best to fiction readers.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Corporate espionage is an interesting subject, as corporations sometimes resort to illegal means to check on their competitors and keep ahead of them, so a well-constructed thriller based on that subject interests me. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”