Review of Operation D

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Review of Operation D

Post by Harty Muli »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Operation D" by Ray Pasquin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Several unsolved murders in the south of Florida draw the attention of the FBI. The federal agency first sends in Agent Jack Hanover to investigate. However, due to a lack of a breakthrough, Jack is promptly replaced by Special Agent Loretta Swanson, a strikingly beautiful and resourceful detective with a gift of the sixth sense. After a few weeks on the job, Swanson formulates a theory that may be significant in profiling the perpetrators behind the murders. In a strange twist of fate, even so, Loretta Swanson becomes the eighth victim of the serial murderer, also known as the New Ripper.

Operation D, Ray Pasquin’s absorbing psychological thriller, about a series of horrendous murders that defy logic, will keep you guessing until the very end. Pasquin raises the stakes early in the story when Agent Loretta Swanson, the only daughter of a certain sitting U.S. senator, is murdered. Her death introduces a whole new ball game in the narrative, as it swiftly attracts the president’s grave response and commands the entire country’s attention. However, with the FBI already embedded in the case, what more can the president do to stem the public’s growing anger over the perceived ineptness of the law enforcement agencies in combating the scourge?

With the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001, still unforgotten, I liked how Pasquin’s novel brought to the fore the problem of hatred as a core ingredient of terrorism. In this regard, Pasquin’s ambitious novel has an ingenious plot that ties in a certain WWII character with a modern-era threat much bigger than 9-11. And just in case you are wondering, his storyline is quite credible because it explores, among others, the successes of a few well-funded scientific breakthroughs in modern medicine. Besides, it’s also common knowledge that, in the government’s endeavor to keep law and order, it often hides away a lot of sensitive information from the public eye, all in the name of national security. This latter point only increases the story’s intrigue and suspense.

Furthermore, I was impressed that the author, to significant effect, included a wide range of diverse characters in his novel. This aspect injected a dose of realism and universalism into the story’s theme and setup. Moreover, the novel’s few editing errors were not something worth writing home about. I, consequently, rated the novel four out of four stars, as I found nothing dislikeable with the story.

As I finish, any reader interested in a murder mystery that features a historical thread will find the novel unputdownable. And the other remarkable thing is that the novel has a great climax and resolution! At the same time, other than the action and a lot of blood and violence, the book features broadly the occult; hence, any sensitive reader may want to keep off reading the novel.

Operation D
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am not offended by copious amounts of blood. We all have it. It’s too bad that a leading senator’s daughter has to be murdered before the government, as well as the public, take the investigation seriously.
Shadreck Rogers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadreck-rogers.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shadreck Rogers »

This sounds like a CIA spy-thriller and that is my favourite. Can't wait to read this book.
Paully_
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paully.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by Paully_ »

I don't like reading book containing murder. Persons interested in psychological murder thriller would enjoy reading the book.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

This is an astounding thriller and mystery. I was surprised to read that the investigator was even part of the victims of the New Ripper. Who is this killer?
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

I love your review but I don't think I can read this book, from the cover page it shows that the book is horror story. Great review.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

From this review, there is alpt of harm that comes with hatred, and it is the main thing that sours terrorism. I love the storyline, but the cover of the book looks horrific. Thanks for your honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller that mixes murder with issues that are relevant today concerning the actions of governments. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”