Review of Madam Vice President

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Madam Vice President

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Madam Vice President" by Julian Mann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Victoria Pierce has a clandestine past! After running away from her 'parents,' who treated her like a slave in their Oklahoma farmhouse, she returns to the only life she knows, but this time in San Francisco. And it's by chance that she enrolls as a Marine while there. Graduating as the best recruit and soon becoming a hero worthy of presidential recognition, Victoria seems destined for greatness. After receiving her Medal of Honor from the president, she meets Senator Sam Eagan, and a love affair ensues.

Victoria rises through the ranks to become a Brigadier General and joins Sam Eagan's presidential campaign. Americans love Victoria, and when Sam makes her his running mate, political analysts expect nothing but a landslide victory at the presidential polls. However, there's a problem. It seems that a reporter, Grace Brandon, whom Victoria befriends during the campaign, is suspicious of her past and will stop at nothing to expose her. Who is Victoria? And what past is she hiding? There's so much to unravel and marvel at in this page-turner, Madam Vice President, written by Julian Mann.

It's been a long time since I read a suspenseful book like this. Without a doubt, the atmosphere of suspense the author engulfed me in throughout his narrations is my favorite aspect of the book. This story is fast-paced and captivating, and I am yet to recover from the exciting hangover it left on my mind. I couldn't wait to resume reading this title anytime I took a break, as I wondered what could happen next. And each time, the author made sure to floor me and my predictions of the characters' next moves.

Furthermore, this book is rich in graphic descriptions. I commend the author's exceptional ability to evoke vivid mental pictures with his words. The ease at which he engaged all my senses endeared me to his writing style. For example, the author writes, "She unfolded and tumbled the telephone-book-sized manual onto the coffee table in front of Sam, rattling the ice cubes in his empty glass." Didn't that engage your sense of hearing?

The characterization in this novel is also top-notch. The characters are relatable and unique, and I especially like that their dialogues make them even more life-like. The backstories the author provided for them, especially the main characters, made me feel like I knew them personally. It's hard to pick a favorite because they all played exciting roles and made the story fascinating. However, Victoria's intelligence, go-getter attitude, and aptitude to take advantage of any situation would win her many fans.

I enjoyed the non-linear progression of events in this book. And I was wowed by the author's ability to still evoke tension in his narrations of the past despite me being aware that the characters were still alive in the present. Good job, Mr. Mann! It was such a joy to see all the events, past and present, converge to form an explosive climax at the end. Readers who love politics would be thrilled by this novel, as its insights into the 25th Amendment to the United States Constitution are fascinating and educational.

I commend the author for such a well-written story, and he just won a new fan. I didn't dislike anything about this novel, and despite a few errors in it, it still seemed professionally edited. Hence, I gladly rate Madam Vice President a well-deserved four out of four stars. And I highly recommend it to lovers of intriguing and well-written political thrillers.

Madam Vice President
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

A wonderful review you’ve got here! I should add this book to my shelf. Thanks for the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Great review! I don’t really spend a lot of time with political thrillers, but this had many other things to intrigue me.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a really captivating read! And, yes, I definitely heard the ice-cubes rattle in the glass :D Non-linear narrative is very appealing to me too. Thank you very much for this wonderful review!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Madam President sounds like a wonderful book with an engaging and sense utilizing writing style. Fabulous job at getting your thoughts through the readers. Thank you for this great review!
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

Of course everyone of us will like to see this in her childhood neglected woman to succeed. Interesting to know the challenges she faces in climbing the ladder of fame.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Non-linear storytelling is tricky but when it's well handled it can be really intriguing. In this case, it seems to add even more interest to a novel that has well-constructed characters as well. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

The ladder of Fame has interesting things that awaits those that climb it, and I'd love to know if Victoria Pierce was able to succeed. Thanks for your honest review.
Radhika Nair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-nair.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Radhika Nair »

Phenomenal review! I love how you picked out the line from the book about the ice rattling in the glass, because of course you're absolutely right! Based on your review, I can see that this book has BOTM energy, and I hope to see it win sometime soon.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”