Review of Hunted

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Roy Nick
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Review of Hunted

Post by Roy Nick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hunted" by LaBrie James.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sometimes, I can’t fathom teenage love triangles. Let me break it down for you what happens in Hunted by LaBrie James. The story unfolds with very gory details. Juliet and Lennox are leaving a party in the middle of the night. Sadly, a man rapes the former before stabbing her to death and shooting the latter. Luckily for Lennox, she survives.

The details get interesting. Juliet and Jax have been dating when the latter suddenly breaks things off. Lennox has been Juliet’s best friend since childhood. Suddenly, Jax and Lennox develop feelings for each other. Then we have the Watson family, who heads the police department. Harlem Watson is the Chief of Police, and his son is to assume the role upon his retirement. Cory Watson is Harlem’s grandson who is forced into becoming a cop, despite his passion for law. Now, Cory has had a crush on Lennox for the longest time. Mind you, Cory and Jax are best friends. With Juliet’s death, horrific details begin coming to light!

I loved it when conversations got personal along the way. Finn and Lennox have a generous age gap. Even so, I enjoyed their mature dialogue. From the word go, you could feel their connection and intimacy. I appreciated how the author brought out Cory. I think he deserved more credit than the rest. He was raised in a family without love, often reminded he had to be his best to become something he did not desire. Amid all those rogue emotions, he found time to remain a good friend and even console them when in distress.

Lennox’s father was someone with whom I resonated. While her mother was away for career purposes, he found time to be with his daughter, offer Lennox security, and even protect her from any malicious person. In addition, he continuously reminded her she was attractive, despite her unique appearance.

Besides rape and teenage love, the plot delves deeper into drugs, infidelity, and family dynamics. I did find several wrong tenses and other grammatical errors. Broadly, the work is professionally edited. Hunted occupied me until late in the night, anxiously wanting to discover what would happen to Lennox or whether another serial killer was on the loose.

By far and wide, saying this book was gripping would be an understatement. Hence, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I noted no aspect to dislike. I recommend it to people who enjoy character-driven novels with raw emotions.

Hunted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Akinola John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akinola-john.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler

Post by Akinola John »

Stories like this appeal to human emotions. I will add this book to my bookshelf. Thanks for the great review.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

It's disheartening to read what happened to Juliet. I feel that her killer might be someone close to her, male or female. Again, I don't find Lennox getting into a relationship with her best friend's ex healthy. But, such is life, full of pretence and betrayals.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Blessing E »

I love the topics explored in this book. I appreciate well written reviews. This is because it gives me an idea of how to structure my reviews subsequently. Thanks teaching me what a good review is. And congratulations for having your review published.
peter-turo
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peter-turo.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by peter-turo »

The gentlemen seem to crush on lennox. She must be beautiful. Romantics will love this. Great review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am very drawn to novels in the C/T/M/H genre, but I am not a fan of gore. I appreciate that you mention it in the first portion of your review. While I agree that Lennox and Jax should probably not be in a relationship, I know that high schoolers are not particularly concerned with that sort of thing.
Suliyat Ademola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suliyat-ademola.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Suliyat Ademola »

I love me a good book with a healthy dose of suspense. I think I'll check this out. Pretty good review 👍
joyjoy22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by joyjoy22 »

Your review is honest and interesting. I am particularly curious to know the identity of the person that murdered Juliet.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

The book would be desired by readers who like to sympathize with characters of everyday issues and problems. However, what I like most in fiction book is action. Or memoirs.
Benson247
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Benson247 »

I can relate to this book. It is just a reflection of the cruelty and wickedness in the society. Raping Juliet and then stabbing her to death is very inhuman.
Oluwasogo Familusi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwasogo-familusi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Oluwasogo Familusi »

Thanks for the review. It ignited my interest in the book, I look forward to picking the book up to read.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I have mixed feelings about this novel, as it seems well-constructed with terrific character development but the kind of story with love triangles and emotional drama is really not my thing. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”