Mexican Gothic by Silvia Morena-Garcia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julia J 1
Currently Reading: The Priory of the Orange Tree
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-j-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Morena-Garcia

Post by Julia J 1 »

I read this book awhile ago and would love to discuss it. I have such mixed feelings about this novel. I loved the premise but found I was a bit disappointed in the end. Also was not as scary as I thought it would be.

This book is set in the HORROR genre

Has anyone else read it? What were your thoughts?
alix_nicole
Currently Reading: Finding Audrey
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by alix_nicole »

Hi Julia!

I read this book and I feel the same way. The premise of the story really intrigued me. I felt like the beginning of the story was a bit slow, but then once Noemi made it to High Place, I do feel that it picked up. I got really drawn into the story as the mystery that surrounded High Place continued to grow. But when the ending came, I felt pretty disappointed by the whole thing, although I did find the whole scene with old Doyle creepy and weird. I really didn't find the entirety of the book scary at all. Overall, I thought it was a good book, but I wish the mystery behind High Place wasn't so...simple. For a mystery, horror book, I was expecting the mystery to be a bit more.

What do you think?
Julia J 1
Currently Reading: The Priory of the Orange Tree
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-j-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Julia J 1 »

alix_nicole wrote: 20 Feb 2022, 12:27 Hi Julia!

I read this book and I feel the same way. The premise of the story really intrigued me. I felt like the beginning of the story was a bit slow, but then once Noemi made it to High Place, I do feel that it picked up. I got really drawn into the story as the mystery that surrounded High Place continued to grow. But when the ending came, I felt pretty disappointed by the whole thing, although I did find the whole scene with old Doyle creepy and weird. I really didn't find the entirety of the book scary at all. Overall, I thought it was a good book, but I wish the mystery behind High Place wasn't so...simple. For a mystery, horror book, I was expecting the mystery to be a bit more.

What do you think?
I feel the exact same way! Perhaps maybe it was the pace of the story as you said, the slow beginning and sudden (in my opinion) ending just doing do it for me. Also I couldn't really care for Noemi as a character, I would have liked more back story for her. I think the whole book just needed to focus a bit more on developing the characters so there's more investment at the end of the story. I wouldn't have minded a longer book if they dived deeper into all the characters story lines.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”