Review of The King-Makers of Providence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of The King-Makers of Providence

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The King-Makers of Providence" by John Houle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The King-Makers of Providence by John Houle, the city of Providence was run tightly by Mayor Jack Donovan and his chief of staff, Terry Silberman. They had used their power and position to take bribes from the citizens. Anyone who crossed them paid dearly. Therefore, the people learned to look the other way. But Frank Petrozella chose to do things differently. Frank's action could soon birth a new era of politics in Providence that would change the political scene. It could also break the holds of kingmakers like Henry Mercucio and Congressman Ray McNally on the city's political system. Would Donovan and Silberman get what they had coming to them? Or would their power and money absolve them of their sins?

I like that this book revealed the salient dynamics of power and politics. It also traced the evolution of politics from a public service venture that catered to people's needs to a system run by money and for money. This was and had proved detrimental to society. A genuine passion for change had been dimmed by a dishonorable system where no one could be trusted. People would change their position to secure votes and positions most suited to them.

I got an exciting peek into the internal workings of election campaigns. I could picture everything, from crafting a candidate's image to developing campaign messages and putting them out there. There was also the power of social media and the mainstream media and how they drove political campaigns and elections. Another introspective issue raised by the book related to women and political offices. The perception was that women were too liberal or soft for the political game. Women in politics currently had to prove themselves to be accepted by the populace and respected by their colleagues.

Readers would be compelled to meditate on the actual definition of success. The craze of this generation to become successful begged the question: to what end? Success chasers should give more thought to what they desire; perhaps success should be more about family and love than money and accolades. Either way, it was good food for thought.

The King-Makers of Providence was a perfect blend of politics, power, greed, love, karma, and facades. The book was a lesson that people could indeed be more than the eye could see. It also reemphasized the fundamental tenets of politics that could be summarized thus: "the highest honor is in serving your fellow man." No matter how dirty the political game had been, this book showed that being honorable and honest in politics was possible.

This book was well written and exceptionally edited. There was nothing to dislike in the entire narrative. Political enthusiasts and lovers of good stories would love this book. I’d rate it four out of four stars.

The King-Makers of Providence
View: on Bookshelves
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

In my opinion, corrupt politicians and public service workers are an overused trope but this book seems to have a unique twist. I look forward to reading this book. Great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting novel that uses Providence as an example of dirty politics and everything you can find where there's power and people fight to reach it, keep it, increase it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Mathapelo Senye
Currently Reading: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mathapelo Senye »

The books sounds very interesting and it relates to today's life .. politics has taken a different direction corruption have overpowered the leaders minds and hearts the, no longer know the meaning of being a leader and to lead a nation the needs of the nation comes first.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I kind like the plot a lot. I would probably be very much interested in this book if there was some romance too, but I like how the good hero guy takes over the bad plot of mafia guys.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

Power and politics are two strong but fragile things. If your power is not from a sound source, then it'd be crushed by a higher power. I'd love to read and imagine the change that Frank was able to effect. Thanks for your honest review.
Ntombizethu Mlambo
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Ntombizethu Mlambo »

seems like an interesting novel that uses Providence as an example of dirty politics and everything you can find where there's power and people fight to reach it, keep it, increase it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80156
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 773%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Is a tour de force in five acts through campaign craftand all out political war a fast paced novel for our time that unites
Austin Debby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-debby.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Austin Debby »

This book seems like a great eye-opener that empowers the mind of people. Great review I just say.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”