Review of Conundrum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Review of Conundrum

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Conundrum" by Tom Bleakley & Marcia Lange.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brute beasts roam the Earth, and they are preying on unsuspecting victims. Profiteering is deeply rooted in the midst of all the chaos, as a pharmaceutical company does all it can to protect its financial interests. Alex Hartley and Ingrid Kubilus discovered the actual cause of AIDS through their study. However, in a bid to protect its interests, Orex Laboratories pulls several strings to ensure another paper, submitted several months later, is published first in the American Scientific Journal. When Sylvia Anderson tells her mentor and lead author, Arnold Pittsburgh, that the confirmatory tests do not validate the original conclusion, all hell breaks loose. Thirty-three years later, the carpet slowly unrolls to reveal what has been swept under it for years when a court battle begins.

The case is about sex, yet it is not about sex. Some people have been erecting strong, seemingly impenetrable walls for a long time. Will they come down? What will it take to shake them? What happened between 1985 and 2019? Conundrum, a novel co-authored by Tom Bleakley and Marcia Lange, will provide all the answers and more. Perhaps, who knows, you could join the jurors in laying the case to rest.

In the introductory chapters, the story constantly shifts between the 1980s and 2018 to 2019. The feeling arising from following the two timelines was akin to being caught in the middle of a major storm only to survive to witness its debilitating aftermath. None made sense without the other. While the former brings great unrest and danger, the latter involves coming head-on with unpleasant memories. I immensely enjoyed how the story moved back and forth in time. It made it hard to put the book down, not that there was any dull moment anyway. In addition, the characters are relatable. They are ordinary people, going through different circumstances and handling them in ways that make them humane or otherwise. The reader witnesses a world driven by greed, cruelty, and selfishness, and the immediate reaction is to deny the sad reality. Nonetheless, a spark of hope shines brighter in the darkness.

I like surprises, as they tend to contribute to dramatic tension, which in turn captures the reader’s attention. In this book, the author creatively employs both the element of surprise and dramatic irony. I prefer plot twists and turns arising from the element of surprise, though. In addition, there were some instances of bias. Apart from these two minor issues resulting from personal preference and two grammatical errors, this is a masterpiece. Every reader will appreciate the exceptionally developed, realistic plot and engaging characters. Further, the story is not only absorbing but also thought-provoking.

I contentedly rate Conundrum four out of four stars. The book is suitable for ardent readers of crime fiction, especially legal thrillers. It comprises several cuss words and, hence, I do not recommend it to anyone who dislikes such.

Conundrum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book is characterized by different element. I love the review.
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

It sounds very interesting. While I'm not from the USA, I have heard and read a lot about how AIDS had been completely attributed to homosexuality in the USA, which is very different from what I've read about AIDS in my own country - that it is a sexually transmitted disease, and of course, also transmitted by blood transfusion. The review makes me feel that the book talks about this as well. I would love to check out the book. Thanks for the great review.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

A captivating thriller, huh? There seems to be quite the plot here. I would like to know the verdict. Great review, Kibetious!
Fareed Regal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fareed-regal.html
Latest Review: In Plain Sight by Susan Mallett

Post by Fareed Regal »

Excellent review. It aroused my curiosity to know how it all pans out. I think this will be an enjoyable read.
Anthonio042
Currently Reading: Sex, Genes and Rock 'n' Roll
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthonio042.html
Latest Review: "INVASIONS: 'Killing og the Indian'" by Don Diehl

Post by Anthonio042 »

The book contains a lot of dramatic tensions, as you’ve written. I suspect there’s a lot more to happen and to wait in the series of events. Great review!
Hunter Roberts
Favorite Book: Wolfgang's Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Hunter Roberts »

This has grabbed my attention!
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

AIDS is a serious deadly disease, people should definitely be careful, interesting book, great review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I really liked the writing pattern and also the issues addressed.
Great review🍀
:tiphat:
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am thoroughly intrigued by this review. I do hope that Sylvia can prove what she knows is true. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing legal thriller centered around AIDS with the search for a cure, prejudice that for many years affected the people who contracted the disease, and much more. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”