Review of 422:

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Review of 422:

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "422:" by Danny Range.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

23-year-old Bruno Marchesi looks to continue his progress not just away from his family's deeply rooted life in organized crime but also away from all the negativity that has seen him in and out of depression and on the verge of suicide a few times in the past. He hopes that he will get his big break at a job with an accounting firm so that he can fulfill his dreams of becoming rich legally while caring for his family. He gets the job after a passionate interview despite being the least qualified candidate, and things are looking up. Nevertheless, love at first sight for Sandra Haiz, who is his boss' mistress, presents a lot of complications. These complications will test Bruno's resolve in every way, especially with his mental health and his blatant dislike for cheating men after witnessing his grandma's suffering.

Danny Range has presented a highly engaging thriller in the form of his well-executed novel, 422: Scandalous, taking us deep into what it means to suffer from mental illness to the point of contemplating suicide while helping us see the significance of consistently working on ourselves if we are in a similar situation mentally. Since the story is told from the first-person perspective, as Bruno Marchesi is ironically in the driving seat of his chaotic story, there is an element of reality to this fiction story, and readers will find it very easy to relate to Bruno.

The author has done a fantastic job in the development of Bruno as a character with immense depth. His main desire of wanting a better life for himself and his family, despite his background, piqued my interest, and Danny Range does well to highlight not just the passionate and caring attitudes that serve him well on his journey but also the demons in him that attempt to jeopardize everything he has worked for. The law of attraction is also explored, as Bruno attempts to employ its principles in achieving his main goals.

As you root for the main character to succeed in his endeavors, his past life in the streets continues to haunt him in different ways. So, when he finds himself in a difficult situation involving his boss and his love interest, he is forced to choose between running back to his old life or ending it all as key solutions. I found every aspect of his story highly suspenseful, as I felt his frustrations and was constantly engrossed in what his next action would be and how it would affect everyone around him.

Furthermore, 422: Scandalous is an exceptionally well-edited book since I did not encounter any errors while reading. I cannot think of anything that I do not like about this riveting novel. On that note, the book deserves the maximum rating of four out of four stars. The book is also not short of sexual scenes and profanity, with the kind of violence to be expected in a world of crimes and drug abuse well displayed in several parts of the story. Mature readers who enjoy intense thrillers and touching stories will love this book. If you may be triggered by drug use and violence, you should not pick up this book.

422:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The plot is very intriguing. I would love to know more about Bruno, his personality, and his situation. Especially about his mental illness (it really bothers me when mental illnesses are misrepresented in books or movies). Amazing review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The plot is an intriguing one. It's never easy to do the right thing. I would love to read the book. Good review.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

The plot is so captivating. It leaves me wanting to know just how Bruno's story turns out. I'll have to read this one! Thank you for your great review!
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

Choosing a different path to take in life and leaving your past behind, is likely the most difficult decision to take. I love this review.
Ananya Dash
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Grey
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya-dash.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Ananya Dash »

The character development of Bruno seems interesting. Being a huge fan of the thriller genre, I think I should give this book a shot. Good review.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing crime thriller that digs into the protagonist's mind in a suspsenseful story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kanika Tandon
Currently Reading: Of winners and losers
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanika-tandon.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kanika Tandon »

This sounds like an interesting book. I find the plot quite intriguing. Crime thriller and suspense is a very common theme but when you throw mental health so blatantly, that is different ball game. I would love to check this out. The review was fantastic btw.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

its rare to see the bad guy turning good and wanting to leave the wild life, interesting book, grezt review
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can truly relate to the concept of not wanting to follow in the footsteps of your parents. I appreciate his resolve to do things his own way. Thanks for the review.
Chelsea Elaine S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsea-elaine-s.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by Chelsea Elaine S »

This is a well-written review. I'm about to read this book and I feel excited. Thank you for sharing your insight.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like an intense and intriguing book! Lots of action for sure! It sounds like Bruno has had it tough in his personal life and his career life! Sometimes life hits hard and decisions are difficult to make. Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Asma Aisha Ansari
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Roadside Picnic
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asma-aisha-ansari.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Asma Aisha Ansari »

Bruno made the right choice by leaving his dishonest and criminal family behind to create a better life for himself. No wonder most readers will root for him.
Imagination is a good servant, and a bad master. - Agatha Christie
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Told in the first person POV, today's BOTD is a thriller filled with action and high suspense about a man looking to move forward, away from a life of crime, violence, and drugs. Readers of the genre will appreciate deep characterization and the storyline's focus on mental health, both of which bring the story to life in a realistic, relatable way. Thank you for the awesome review and keep up the great work! :-)
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Thank you for your informative review. I can see from it how chaotic and intense the storyline is. I'm not much of a thriller reader and this one seems intriguing. Not sure I will read it though.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”