Review of Hamlet in Baltimore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Hamlet in Baltimore

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hamlet in Baltimore" by Pavel Cerny.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Something sinister lurks in the shadows beneath the stage of the Swan Theater in Baltimore. As the cast prepares for the opening night of their production of Shakespeare's Hamlet, five-year-old Edgar Allen Poe watches his parents practice their roles with wide-eyed rapture. But the performance on stage is not the only spectacle that has captured the future poet's attention. The terrifying experience near the coffin-like box—the vanishing theater cat followed by the broken lantern—has left the horror-story enthusiast reluctant to leave the safety of the well-lit dressing rooms. What terror lies in wait at the theater? Who will be left standing for the final curtain call? Read Hamlet in Baltimore to find out!

Pavel Cerny brings to life the wonderful world of Shakespearian theater over the backdrop of the classic Bram Stoker vampire story in this fictional tale surrounding a young Edgar Allen Poe. I loved how Cerny used the ongoing drama within the theater to hide the subtle clues about what was going on among the players. It was fun to solve the mystery of the strange black cat and discover the vampire's identity within the group. I loved the foreshadowing worked into the descriptions and the elements of gothic literature throughout the narrative.

The dynamic cast of characters provided a realistic tale of human woe. I loved the elements of unrequited love and the use of storytelling to create the dramatic nature of this short horror story. Edgar's nursemaid, Letitia, told her haunting tale to Edgar as a bedtime story and set the tone for the events to come. The climax was an exciting rush of events that corresponded well with the tension played out during the opening night of the lengthy production of Hamlet. The open-ended yet conclusive ending was also a thought-provoking treat to contemplate long after the drama was over.

I also appreciated the screenplay-like nature of the writing. The author directed the characters and the setting with cues and accurate timing to make it easy to follow the events. While one or two spots in the last pages lacked a clear transition, they were not enough to find fault within this delightful classic tale of the macabre. I noticed two minor errors that were hardly distracting in this otherwise well-edited work. I give Hamlet in Baltimore four out of four stars.

I would highly recommend this book to those who love classic vampire stories and the works of Shakespeare. Hamlet in Baltimore should also appeal to those who enjoy fan fiction surrounding the life of Edgar Allen Poe. The presence of black cats, ravens, and the full moon may put readers into the spirit of the Halloween season as they enjoy this riveting tale.

Hamlet in Baltimore
View: on Bookshelves
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

Classic plus horror.I like the combination .thanks for detailed review
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love Edgar Allen Poe. It’s nice to see this about him even though it is fiction. Thanks for the review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

I love the theme of this book. Theatre art is one captivating career aspect. Great review!
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love to read about theater arts, am definitely reading this book, beautiful review.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

Whenever I see a mystery/horror book I'm usually happy. I like the author's perspective. Good review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a fascinating novel taking inspiration from Edgar Allan Poe to tell a vampire story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

seems like a must read thriller, and the bed time story is a fresh add to the common theme, interesting book, great story
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”