Review of Frozen Tears The Fort Leonard Wood MP Murders

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Review of Frozen Tears The Fort Leonard Wood MP Murders

Post by Tomah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Frozen Tears The Fort Leonard Wood MP Murders" by J. B. King.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On January 13, 1977, an incident shook Pulaski County, Missouri to its core. Juanita Deckard, a teenager who had gone on a double date with three of her friends the night before, was the only member of the group to survive a terrifying encounter with an officer from the Fort Leonard Wood military base. The officer, Johnny Lee Thornton, had taken advantage of his position to sexually assault and murder his victims. By a stroke of fortune, Deckard wasn't fatally wounded and managed to call for help after an arduous walk through the snow. Thus began a perplexing case that would leave its marks on the community for decades to come.

Frozen Tears: The Fort Leonard Wood MP Murders, written by J. B. King and co-authored by Sandra Miller Linhart, gives a detailed account of Thornton's crimes and the subsequent investigation and trial. King worked as a Missouri State Highway Patrol trooper at the time of the murders; indeed, he was the first one to contact Juanita Deckard. The book owes its depth to not only the author's involvement and professional experience but also his extensive research, including interviews, court transcripts, notes, articles, reports, and countless other documents.

True crime fans likely won't find room for disappointment thanks to the book's extensive coverage of every aspect of the case. King spares no effort describing investigation plans and pieces of evidence, complementing this information with maps, diagrams, and photographs. The trial portions are equally rich in detail, providing some engaging real-life legal drama. This approach highlights many important behind-the-scenes challenges that often go unnoticed by the public: investigating sites under unfavorable weather conditions, coordinating different groups, dealing with jurisdictional conflicts, etc.

Perhaps the book's most remarkable feature, however, is how it masterfully intersperses the human element between technical discussions. The author never forgets about the real lives impacted by the crimes, showcasing interviews with family members and noting the short-term and long-term effects on the community.

There are, unfortunately, quite a few typographical errors, mostly involving missing or extraneous punctuation marks. These issues aren't glaring or frequent enough to bother most people, but they stain an otherwise phenomenal book and warrant another proofreading round. Speaking of things I disliked, another (very minor) point is that the author's discussion of jurisdiction should've come much earlier since it would've helped readers understand many decisions and complications during the investigation and prosecution.

Frozen Tears: The Fort Leonard Wood MP Murders is a true labor of love that oozes dedication and compassion, serving as the go-to source for learning about the case and as a textbook example of true crime done right. Due to the editing issues, however, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I wouldn't recommend the book if you're looking for an exciting mystery story and technical details and legal discussions bore you.

Frozen Tears The Fort Leonard Wood MP Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

A novel for suspense and crime lovers. After reading the review I want to know more about the teenage boy Deckard and wanted to know how he was investigated. All in all, I want to read this book after the suspense the review caused in me. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an impressive mystery that digs deep into the characters' lives with all the ramifications of the case. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The mystery of the book is overwhelming. The review shows that there are few lessons to learn from the book. Good review.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love to read books full of mysteries and thrillers, I think this book would be a good idea, beautiful review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”