Review of The Ghost of Mackey House

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Review of The Ghost of Mackey House

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Ghost of Mackey House" by R.A. Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jan Sorrensen’s first two books were successful. He channeled all the ill-will he felt for his ex-wife, who broke his heart, into his work. But writing his third novel was proving to be nothing more than a blank screen and lack of inspiration. That is until he arrives at the Mackey House bed and breakfast, and a series of haunting events occur. Who knew that the perfect horror novel was right under his nose?

When a shocking murder-suicide rocks the walls of the quaint bed and breakfast, Sandy and Dan, the owners, are left with sweeping cancelations. No one wants to stay in a place terrorized by ghosts. But then, Dan, who has always been committed to Sandy and the house, just up and disappears one day, leaving his already rattled wife reeling.

Jan, with the help of Deputy Kathy Jenson, decides to do some research. They delve deeper into the history of the old hotel, including the beautiful but horrific statue that stands in front of the property. The more Jan digs, the more shocking revelations he unearths. Why did Dan disappear? Is the house haunted, and what does Sandy have to do with all of it?

Could the chilling history be material for Jan’s newest novel? Read this thrilling book to find out.

The Ghost of Mackey House by R.A. Johnson is a chillingly addictive novel that will have readers perpetually looking over their shoulders. The book is written from the third-person perspective. It follows Jan while occasionally switching to Kathy Jenson’s point of view. The unlikely pair team up, seeking information regarding the strange occurrences at the Mackey House. They look into the disappearance of Dan Adams, Sandy’s increasingly bizarre behavior, and if there is any truth to the gossip surrounding the historical stigma attached to the town of Dundee, specifically the Mackey House.

There were so many things to love about the book. But my favorite was the author’s talent for writing a story that jumped off the pages, and like a movie in my head, it came to life. The creepy factor surged as supernatural events were described in vivid detail. From the presence of a terrifying black shadow to the movement of the hypnotic statue, it was a chill-inducing experience!

If you’ve read any of my other reviews, you know well-developed characters are a non-negotiable for me. The Ghost of Mackey House did not disappoint. Between a self-deprecating novelist and a tough-as-nails female sheriff, this book delved deep into the lives of multidimensional characters. Jan’s struggle with his inadequacies as a writer and a lover was thoroughly conveyed to the reader, and I enjoyed seeing his confidence evolve. Kathy had weaknesses of her own that drove her. The plight of being a female deputy was deepened further by her sexual orientation and race. She used the relentless bullying from her male counterparts as motivation—she was the definition of girl power.

This book reeled me in quickly, and despite the significant length, I devoured it in a few sittings. Needless to say, I was sad when it ended, but that’s when you know the author accomplished what they set out to do. There is nothing to dislike about the book, and I’d love to read more from R.A. Johnson! The cherry on top of this spectacular book was that it was exceptionally well edited with no visible errors.

I have chosen to give The Ghost of Mackey House a rating of four out of four stars. The storyline was exciting and suspenseful—everything you’d want from a horror/mystery. Furthermore, the characters were likable and multidimensional. It was easy to root for them.

If you love mysteries with ghostly phenomena, do yourself a favor and pick up this novel. The book may be unsuitable for those who find paranormal activity unsettling. There are also some otherwordly sex scenes and profanity that some readers may find offensive. Nevertheless, for those undeterred but the details mentioned above, read this book. You’re welcome.

The Ghost of Mackey House
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Post by marta baglioni »

This seems like a great book: I love ghosts stories and I am happy to read that the plot was well-developed and the characters were really good (in particular, the Sheriff intrigues me). Thank you for the review! It was amazingly written :)
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

marba wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 05:07 This seems like a great book: I love ghosts stories and I am happy to read that the plot was well-developed and the characters were really good (in particular, the Sheriff intrigues me). Thank you for the review! It was amazingly written :)
Thanks for your thoughtful comment :)
shamspradhan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shamspradhan.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by shamspradhan »

Oh wow this review really makes me want to read this book. The ghost aspect to the mystery sounds quite interesting.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really like a murder/horror book that is creepy without being gory. With the disappearance of Dan, what will Sandy do? I’m very interested. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel that has everything you might want from a horror story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Pearl Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-thomas.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Pearl Thomas »

The plot doesn't interest me that much, but I love your writing style. Enjoyed reading your review. Thanks.
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

I love horror books with ghosts stories, I think this book would be a great idea, thanks for the honest review.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

I enjoyed reading horror stories. The plot is quite scary and the characters make it even more creepy. Thank you for your review
cchristinacch6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cchristinacch6.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by cchristinacch6 »

Wow, your review makes me really intrigued to read this book. I love the horror genre!
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

Horror story may not appeal to me but this book seems to have a very intriguing storyline that a lot of people may love. Great review!
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I really liked the writing style of the reveiwer, i wish to write this kind of reviews.
Great review🍀
:tiphat:
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I cant resist a good horror novel and this one sounds perfect for me. Ghost stories have always excited and intrigued me. Thank you for the detailed review! :D
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This sounds like an exceptionally well-written book. Unfortunately, though I do like a good ghost story, I'm not into horror or mysteries. I'll be skipping this one. Thanks for the excellent review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Lillian Motsamai
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lillian Motsamai »

I truly like a homicide/ghastliness book that is dreadful without being bloody. With the vanishing of Dan, how will Sandy respond? Im extremely intrigued. A debt of gratitude is in order for the audit.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”