Review of Deliveries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Review of Deliveries

Post by Erin Dydek »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deliveries" by Paul Smyth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Paul Jackson makes his living as a bush pilot, flying deliveries through the rough, unpredictable mountain terrain just outside of his hometown of Owensville. Paul knows that Jack Ward's request for immediate delivery of camera equipment to Spruce Creek Lodge for a charity fundraiser should be a piece of cake. Unfortunately, mother nature would like to disagree with his assessment. Paul also has a secret, a health-related issue he's failed to disclose to his wife and his co-pilot that could thwart the whole mission. Paul may not have time to confess, let alone deliver the equipment safely as the weather continues to deteriorate. As dusk approaches, can anything be salvaged from this overnight catastrophe?

Deliveries was an entertaining disaster novel by Paul Smyth. I loved the layers of human error and unfortunate circumstances that complied to present a story of complete chaos. As more and more things went wrong for the distressed Cessna pilots, I was pulled further into the story, desperately wondering how this novel would have a happy ending.

The author did a fantastic job with the research for the avionic and flight terminology. It was easy to understand everything going on, whether in the planes with the pilots, in the tower with flight control, or on the ground with search and rescue as they monitored the situation. I also enjoyed the camaraderie between the different sets of characters. The banter between the pilots brought some comic relief, while the pilots' wives' concerns added a bit of drama. Many other characters displayed determination, frustration, anger, and self-pity that all made for a cast of realistic people in a dynamic story.

Overall, I enjoyed the plot and how all the pieces came together in the end. I was mildly disappointed with the number of editing issues in the book, but the minor errors weren't too distracting despite the author's semi-frequent misuse of the word "too." The other thing that bothered me about this book was the amount of redundant information. I realize that the author showed the reader what each set of characters understood or knew. Still, the repeated information and heavy foreshadowing diminished the suspense of several scenes and made the book feel longer than necessary. For this reason, and because of the editing errors, I give Deliveries three out of four stars.

I'd recommend this book to those who enjoy disaster thrillers or man-vs-nature survival stories. Deliveries would also appeal to readers who enjoy books that follow multiple character groups through their involvement in the central conflict. This book reads like a comedy of errors and makes for a long but enjoyable novel.

Deliveries
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

Based on your review, it seems that Paul Smyth wrote an intriguing novel that can easily captivate the reader. It is a shame that the author included a lot of foreshadowing. Thank you for your honest review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

From the review, this book sounds fascinating to read and I would love to know what happened to him at the end. Thanks for the review.
Emmanuel Luyakha
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Emmanuel Luyakha »

Avionic and flight terminologies remind me of aviation which was my dream course before. It refreshes my former passion. It is a good review.
Barbara Perini
Currently Reading: Il nome della rosa
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-perini.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Barbara Perini »

Thriller stories usually appeal to me. It's a genre that interests me, and the concept of man-vs-nature usually creates intriguing stories. In addition, I'm curious about the details of the characters. I'd try reading this one.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

This kind of stories are quite captivating. We get to see how humanity thrives in resilience. Good job on the review.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’m not really interested in books of this type. Too much technical information overwhelms me. I prefer to only be entertained while reading for the most part. Thanks for the review, though.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel in which the protagonists getting in trouble keep the readers' attention until the end to discover if they get to safety. I hope the author does some more editing to polish the novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I love disaster thrillers. Storms and planes generally spell disaster, so I'm sure this is going to be an edge-of-the-seat type read. Thank you for an excellent review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

I hate that spouses keep secrets from each other especially a sensitive one as a health secret. Sounds interesting though. Good review
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

From the review, it's necessary to be open to our partners so that our flaws won't affect the partnership. Good review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”