Review of An Agenda of Blood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of An Agenda of Blood

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "An Agenda of Blood" by Jason Beam.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

James Allenton, an author of horror stories, has recently been in a slump. After hearing about a place called Rosegrant, that supposedly had Satanists, demons, ghosts, and numerous murders, he moved there to write a book incorporating the town’s history. He was certain this would get his creative juices flowing. Having conducted personal research on cults before, James thought this would be no different. However, he was vastly mistaken. After choosing the spookiest house in town to live in, he began hearing mysterious voices and seeing apparitions. He realized there was something immensely wrong in Rosegrant and, more importantly to him, in his own home. However, he refused to give in and leave, believing that staying was too important to his novel.

Kelsie, Leara, and Megan were all possessed previously after reading from a book of witchcraft, causing them to commit horrible murders. Thinking they were freed from their spells, they tried to put their lives back together. Leara and Megan even fled town to attempt to escape their pasts. However, all three are experiencing the same nightmares, and something is luring them back to Rosegrant.

An Agenda of Blood: Rosegrant Volume II by Jason Beam is the second book in the series and is listed in the C/T/M/H genre. However, it is unnecessary to read the first book to understand this one. There is enough background incorporated in the story to make it easy to comprehend. However, most of the questions in this novel are left unanswered, paving the way for the upcoming book in the sequel. The author’s prose is descriptive, easy to follow, and chilling. His vivid imagination is demonstrated as he weaves a tale that will compel the readers to look over their shoulders and jump at every little sound. The spooky book cover also helps to convey that feeling. Like most horror stories, explicit violence is incorporated into the novel. Additionally, a lot of suspense makes it difficult to put down.

The story is narrated from the first-person point of view, from multiple people’s perspectives. Each chapter is clearly labeled at the beginning, so we know who is doing the talking. The first-person perspective makes it easy to grasp what the characters are thinking and to comprehend their actions better. For instance, most people in James’s shoes would pack up and leave immediately after witnessing things and hearing voices they couldn’t explain. However, because the readers are able to read James’s thoughts, we are more likely to sense his state of mind and why he made the decision to remain. A large number of the characters are struggling with a sinister side, easily discerned because of the first-person perspective.

Regrettably, although they were not distracting, more than ten errors were encountered in the novel. It could use another round of editing. Because of this, An Agenda of Blood: Rosegrant Volume II achieves a rating of three out of four stars. The book is too suspenseful and scary for two stars. I believe lovers of horror and paranormal stories would highly enjoy this tale. However, it is not for the faint of heart; sensitive readers should be aware graphic violence, explicit sex scenes, and definite profanities are encountered in the novel. If these inclusions pose a problem, then the reader might want to look elsewhere.

An Agenda of Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
TheMazeRunner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: Lady of the Play by Deena Lindstedt

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Well, this sounds like a great horror book! I think I will give it try, your review is amazing!
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

The plot is interesting, but I am not a fan of horror and paranormal stories. I'll just skip this book. Thanks for the amazing review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Horror stories are terrifying. I think I'll pass. Your review was well detailed and fun to read. Good job
Uzzy_Reviews
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

TheMazeRunner wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 00:14 Well, this sounds like a great horror book! I think I will give it try, your review is amazing!
Thank you for the kind words. I hope you enjoy the novel!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kaushiki Parihar wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 02:23 The plot is interesting, but I am not a fan of horror and paranormal stories. I'll just skip this book. Thanks for the amazing review.
I understand. It would be a boring world if we all enjoyed the same things. Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

onyii_review wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 03:57 Horror stories are terrifying. I think I'll pass. Your review was well detailed and fun to read. Good job
They are definitely not for everyone. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

Sounds like a great horror story. His haunted house actually makes it more scary. Nice review 👍.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Sounds like there's a lot of suspense in this book and I like that. I might enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the great review.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Horror books are not my kind of book but I must commend the author for doing what he knows how to do best. Furthermore, I appreciate your review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Viczboy16 wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 14:24 Sounds like a great horror story. His haunted house actually makes it more scary. Nice review 👍.
Yes, it is. If you like horror stories, I think you will enjoy this one. Thanks for stopping by!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Scary books are my favorite :). Thank you for this interesting review and the great recommendation!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Tarie07 wrote: 26 Aug 2021, 17:32 Sounds like there's a lot of suspense in this book and I like that. I might enjoy reading this book. Thanks for the great review.
If you like horror stories and you don't mind that the questions won't all be answered until the next book, then I think you should give it a try. I think you would enjoy it. Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Omega_01 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 06:53 Horror books are not my kind of book but I must commend the author for doing what he knows how to do best. Furthermore, I appreciate your review.
Horror stories aren't for everyone. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 09:02 Scary books are my favorite :). Thank you for this interesting review and the great recommendation!
Then, I think you would enjoy this book. Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”