Review of Ancestors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of Ancestors

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ancestors" by Jan C. Thorpe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ancestors by Jan C. Thorpe is a 274-page fiction novel. It is the story of Moremi, as she struggles to leave her heritage behind and adapt to a new culture. It contains the themes of family, betrayal, ancestral spirits, and the supernatural.

Moremi had to flee from Nigeria 10 years ago after her parents were murdered. The Abosanjos, friends of her parents, had arranged for her to marry their son, Peter. He is a handsome and successful professor of economics. They live together in California with their 8-year-old son, Ayo. However, Moremi is unhappy as she struggles to fit into American life. Her mother had come from a long line of Youdou Priestesses. Now, she feels Marni Wata, an ancient water spirit, beckoning on her to acknowledge her heritage and pay homage to them. On the other hand, Peter holds a secret that could ruin the reputation of his parents and family. He is bent on Moremi not finding out the truth. Things begin to take a downward spiral. It is a struggle between the physical and spiritual. Can Moremi find the help she needs in time to save herself? Find out more within the pages of this book.

The characters, both major and minor, were well developed. The author was detailed in her descriptions. The story was told from the perspective of all the major characters. Also, there is an interesting quote at the beginning of each chapter. The book is replete with Yoruba culture and a part of Nigeria’s history. The book is well referenced, as the author cited various texts that offered more profound insight into the background story.

It’s hard to choose a favorite character, as there are so many lovely ones. I love Gertrude, an 80-year-old psychoanalyst. Also, Moremi met her through Rebecca, her therapist. I love her quiet wisdom and strength. I love the charm and aura about her that gently draws people in. I could almost feel it. I loved how the author portrayed the connection between Moremi and Rebecca. Though of different races, these women understood each other. The message of tolerance in racial, spiritual, and political aspects is unmistakable. Surprisingly, I enjoyed Peter’s character. He was lost and a byproduct of his parent’s greed and selfishness. It’s hard to change when you have been trained in a way for so long. Peter’s life and struggles depict the basic human need to define their own identity. I also felt for Moremi; she had to make a difficult choice.

There’s nothing I dislike about the book. I loved how the author managed the elements of dreams and flashbacks without confusing her readers. The book was both historical and modern. Also, the author did good background research before writing the novel. The plot and writing style was good. The book was well edited, as I found only two errors that didn’t hinder my reading flow. Therefore, I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars.

Finally, I recommend the book to lovers of African culture and good storylines. This book will not disappoint you.

Ancestors
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can’t imagine how difficult it would be to move to another country and try to assimilate into the culture and with the people. More I seems to do this well by finding friends that she can count on, even when she is struggling on her own.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

Wow. This book takes me back to the root as a Nigerian. I'd surely make this pick sometime. Awesome review.
Uzzy_Reviews
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting novel considering that the author created a good story and good characters with an unusual setting that was well used offering bits of the local culture. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

The setting of this book is quite interesting, as a Nigerian Yoruba lady tries to cope in a different country and a marriage with a man who has a huge secret. I'd like to see how Moremi manages to balance her life and if she responds to the call back to her native lands. Amazing review!
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

The book is fast-paced and well-written that is worthy of one’s time. I’ll give this one a try. Great review!
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

The book is time worthy. I've read stories about moremi and I'm sure the book gave enough details. Thank you for review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

While I can’t understand Moremi’s having to come and live her life in a foreign country, I can, at least partially, understand trying to find herself and what she needs. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”