Review of Xanadu's Cavern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Review of Xanadu's Cavern

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Xanadu's Cavern" by Mallory M. O'Connor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On Amazon, the author says that Xanadu's Cavern is "the third book of Mallory O'Connor's occult thriller series," but I prefer to categorize it as C/T/M/H. And for what reason? Well, the book has a little bit of crime, thriller, mystery, and horror. The story is complex, but it's not hard to understand. Epiphany Mayall is the main character. She is a psychic medium who has frightening dreams and makes prophecies. These visions turn out to be helpful in unraveling crimes even before the investigators have proof of who the culprits are.

The plot develops from the disappearance of professional diver Piers Waldon. A recognized environmental activist, Piers' disappearance appears to be linked to a possible discovery that villains were stealing fossils that had high market value. I want to avoid spoilers, but I must say that the possible villains include billionaire Derrick Rarian and even Chechens.

What is most remarkable about this book is that it is unique in its genre. I had never read a C/T/M/H book that involved thugs stealing fossils to be sold on the black market. Much less a book in which a psychic medium helps former FBI agents. I felt sorry for the environmental activist, but we live in a world where the interests of those with money prevail over ecological interests. All this made the book very easy to read and made it a real page-turner.

On the downside, character development is not something to write home about it. What I mean is that we can believe that billionaires and terrorists don't mind harming the environment to make a profit. It's even reasonable to expect that billionaires don't care too much about ecology and that, when they seem to care, it's mostly about personal marketing. However, the book's main antagonist appears to be a sadist who takes pleasure in seeing nature burn and be destroyed. The way the author introduced him, he seems a clichéd character. In order to improve this aspect of the book, it would be interesting to explain in more detail the psychological effect on the young Derrick of not feeling loved and fully belonging to his very distinguished family. That would well explain his anger at the world and thirst for destruction.

All things considered, Xanadu's Cavern by Mallory M. O'Connor deserves three out of four stars. Although the book is innovative and addictive, it has flaws regarding character development. There is only one grammatical error in the entire book, and I recommend it for mystery book lovers, especially those who enjoy paranormal activities.

Xanadu's Cavern
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think the idea of ​​thugs stealing fossils to be sold on the black market is just great.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

I sound like an echo, but high-priced fossils as a motive for crime intrigues me. I can't imagine how the horror element is brought in. The lack of character development is something that bothers me. Thank you for the amazing review. Have a lovely day.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

There is something to this book. I really don’t believe in mediums or their “powers”, but I love to see a good mystery. I’m not sure about stealing fossils, but everything has value to someone, right?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an interesting paranormal thriller that addresses some themes that today are crucial for human future. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Precious DA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-da.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Precious DA »

This appears to be a be an interesting crime thriller. I would certainly love to read this. Thanks for the magnificent review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”