Review of Justice of the Wild

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emily_Jen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-jen.html
Latest Review: Social Media Marketing Strategy by S. M. H. Gibson

Review of Justice of the Wild

Post by Emily_Jen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Justice of the Wild" by Michael du Preez.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

An emergency news announcement is made about a pride of lions that have escaped from their camp in Lion Park. According to the reports, a tree struck by lightning damaged the surrounding fence. Martin Resnik, the lead warden, thinks everything is under control since there is an outer perimeter fence. With the press involved, the warden and his men need to find the lions as soon as possible. The search begins instantly.

The students of Woodlands Private School, a school close to the park, are shocked by the news and are directed to walk in pairs. One student called Ranpha must go home for the weekend. He is joined by his friend, Paul, following the news. On their way, they witness something intriguing. They think the worst is over while they watch the lions being loaded into a truck. Upon their return to school, news about the missing lions persists. If the wardens didn’t take the lions, who did? What would the boys do next? Are they safe? Would the lions be found? Find the answers to these questions and more in Justice of the Wild by Michael du Preez.

From the beginning of the book to the end, one thing I enjoyed was the relationship between Ranpha and Paul. I think the way the author started the story enhanced their bond. We get to see what the boys have in common through their games, conversations, and late-night adventures. I also liked how smart and brave the boys were, especially Ranpha. However, I liked that the author didn’t make them smarter than their age. On one occasion, when the boys came in contact with one of the antagonists, I was pleased that they came out worse off since I figure that no matter how smart a high-school kid is, the experience of a criminal should be enough to outwit inexperienced children.

Another thing I liked was how most of the chapters ended on a cliffhanger and improved the suspense. More so, anyone could die at any time, protagonists and antagonists alike. As a result, I was kept on the edge of my seat the whole time, hoping that none of my favorite characters lost their lives. The third-person narrative style and the occasional dialogue between characters not only helped me have a bird-eye view of the story but also helped me understand the characters better. At some point, I was even attached to one of the antagonists and hoped he wouldn’t be caught. However, my favorite character is Captain Peterson. He was in charge of the investigation and was a full definition of an ideal officer of the law. One other thing I think enhanced the realism of the story is the location in which the story is based. Choosing South Africa as the location was brilliant by the author since that is a place where lions are found in abundance.

I have to also commend the narrator of the book; I listened to the audio version of the novel. Michael McGovern’s voice narration was superb and further enhanced my enjoyment of the book. I enjoyed every bit of this publication and found nothing to dislike about it. Moreover, the text is exceptionally edited since I didn’t notice any errors as I listened. I rate this novel a resounding 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to readers above thirteen that are interested in fiction books about wildlife, poaching, mystery, and adventure. Readers should also note that this book contains some instances of profanity and gore.

Justice of the Wild
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really enjoy reading books about animals. I’m more interested in what happens to the lions than the people. I guess I’ll have to read it to find out. (Which I will)
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

It seems like an intriguing story that sheds a light on the importance of preserving wildlife, in this case lions. I'm not certain of the role of the boys in the story, but I'm curious to find out. Thanks for the wonderful review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Poaching is a terrible plague that is driving various species to extinction because there are a lot of idiots ready to pay a lot of money believing that certain part of some animals' bodies have curative properties. A mystery centered around this problem is intriguing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This book sounds interesting to read and I would add this to my shelves. I love books about animals. Great review.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

This book sounds interesting to read and I would add this to my shelves. I love books about animals. Great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”