Review of Eye For An Eye

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of Eye For An Eye

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Eye For An Eye" by Lyle Howard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Just like its name, An Eye for an Eye by Lyle Howard is the story of a vengeful mother. On the first death anniversary of her daughter, Leah Rand broke out of her prison. She needed to settle the score with Gabe Mitchell, the American detective who was responsible for killing her child. But before that, she sent the British police forces a terrible parting gift. A chain of explosions reduced the London Eye to scrap, and none of its innocent passengers survived this disaster.

A few days later, another bomb detonated in Miami, flattening the house of Gabe's neighbor. It resulted in a man's instant death and two dying children. Devastated by her family's misfortune, Peggy James determined to find her answer with a gun. Would she kill Gabe before Leah did? How would Gabe handle this situation, especially when he also had a little son to protect? Who could stop Leah from executing her inhuman scheme?

The most brilliant aspect of this story is that the cast is very realistic and believable. As we all know, fathers are usually clumsy when it comes to expressing their love to their children. Gabe is one perfect example of this case, as he tries to make sure his son is safe and has a normal life. The way he interrogates Dylan, thinking his son is being bullied, is quite similar to how a real-life father would do in that situation. His mindset may be a bit prejudicial, but any dad will understand, especially those who can't spend much time with their kids. Luckily, he's also reasonable and open-minded.

The plot is not exactly action-packed, but it has enough suspense to keep the readers on the edge of their seats. We will get to see the dangers the police forces and the bomb squads have to face daily. This book is a tribute to their bravery and dedication.

Unfortunately, there are too many grammar mistakes. They are mainly punctuation errors and typos, but I think this copy needs another round of proofreading. Some names seem to be inconsistent as well. For example, Seth James is later referred to as Sean, or Franklin sometimes becomes Fowler and Fletcher.

I have to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because of the editing issue. This would be a great choice for those who want a crime novel with a solid plot and well-crafted characters. However, you may want to proceed with caution if you don't like terrorist activities. I think this copy is not safe for young readers. This novel is the second part of the series, but the author provides enough information so that it can be read independently.

Eye For An Eye
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I love what I read in the review. I believe what Leah is doing is what every mother would think about in the same situation. Even if they would never actually act on the feeling. I’m extremely interested in this, though I need to read the first book before.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I feel like this book should be read by Fathers. Seems like an interesting read from your review. Good one you got here.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I like the play on words with the title of this book. But hopefully, some editing can be done to fix the errors. I see how it can be confusing when the characters are referred to be different names.

Thank you for your honest review.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I wonder why Gabe killed Leah's child to begin with and why Gabe's neighor's house was bombed. It seems like a fascinating book. Thanks for an excellent review!
Snigdha Pandey
Favorite Author: David Levithan
Favorite Book: Burn for Me (Hidden Legacy, #1)
Currently Reading: One last stop
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snigdha-pandey.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
fav_author_id: 5798

Post by Snigdha Pandey »

It sounds like a really suspenseful book. Parents all around trying to protect or avenge their kids. I would prefer to start reading from the first book to understand what happened between Leah and Gabe (I expect that will be covered in the first book?)
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

Sounds like a book every father should read. I'm wondering if Leah got Gabe. I am going to read the book and find out for myself then. Nice review!
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

Inconsistency in names can be confusing. I hope the book receives a thorough round of proofreading. It is good that the plot is interesting and the characters are well developed. Thanks for the detailed review.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Amy Luman wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 14:27 I love what I read in the review. I believe what Leah is doing is what every mother would think about in the same situation. Even if they would never actually act on the feeling. I’m extremely interested in this, though I need to read the first book before.
Thanks for your kind words. Shayla, Leah's daughter, is her pride, so I guess even a criminal like her would try to avenge her girl. I think the first book will cover how Shayla died.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Uzo_Reviews wrote: 01 Aug 2021, 22:44 I feel like this book should be read by Fathers. Seems like an interesting read from your review. Good one you got here.
Thanks for reading my review. Fathers, mothers, and even neglected children can relate to the characters' emotions and actions, so this book can appeal to a wide audience.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 02:45 I like the play on words with the title of this book. But hopefully, some editing can be done to fix the errors. I see how it can be confusing when the characters are referred to be different names.

Thank you for your honest review.
:techie-reference:
Thanks for stopping by. Luckily, the names belong to minor characters, so it doesn't greatly affect the flow :wink:.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Prisallen wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 08:06 I wonder why Gabe killed Leah's child to begin with and why Gabe's neighor's house was bombed. It seems like a fascinating book. Thanks for an excellent review!
The history between Gabe and Leah's child is covered by the first book, but trust me, Gabe is a good cop. This book will also provide appropriate answers for your questions, but you will need to read it :wink:.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Snigdha Pandey wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 01:55 It sounds like a really suspenseful book. Parents all around trying to protect or avenge their kids. I would prefer to start reading from the first book to understand what happened between Leah and Gabe (I expect that will be covered in the first book?)
Thanks for stopping by. I think the first book is about how Gabe met and killed Leah's daughter, Shayla. (Leah has been in prison for years, so I don't think she knew of Gabe until Shayla's death.) But this book will provide enough information so that the readers can understand why Gabe did that to Shayla.
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:

Post by Sou Hi »

Chiwelite O wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 06:09 Sounds like a book every father should read. I'm wondering if Leah got Gabe. I am going to read the book and find out for myself then. Nice review!
Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will find the answers you seek :D.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

This is more like an eye for eyes! I understand that she was hurt and nothing mattered anymore but Leah was a tad too extreme. I will be skipping this one but thanks for the review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”