Review of Hattie Vavaseur

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Hattie Vavaseur

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hattie Vavaseur" by M. Rebecca Wildsmith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Hattie Vavaseur’s driver informed her that her taxi was ready for her journey, Hattie felt confused and couldn’t remember her destination. After arriving at a spooky-looking mansion that had seen better days, she didn’t know where she was, who the master of the house was, or why she was there. She also was having trouble recalling her past. Hattie, being an elderly female who was both wealthy and arrogant, didn’t want anyone to realize she couldn’t remember, afraid they would think less of her. Hence, she pretended everything was alright, hoping that something would jog her memory.

The day after her arrival, she was transported into town for an appointment with a quirky psychic named Vamelda. Hattie’s first impression of the woman was not a favorable one. However, when Vamelda volunteered to assist in finding answers about her memory problems, she decided to give her a chance. As they search for answers about her past, Hattie realizes there are other mysteries, some quite dangerous, that need clarification as well.

Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith is a 261-page novel that takes one back to the 1920s in Cornwall, England. Although it is listed in the C/T/M/H genre, romance and paranormal aspects are also incorporated. The story is told from the third-person point of view, predominantly from Hattie’s perspective. The author’s prose is descriptive and mostly easy to understand. The reader may acquire a few new words while reading (which is not a bad thing) since the book imitates the language of the time. Ms. Wildsmith’s book displays a vivid imagination and provides numerous twists and turns with lots of action, suspense, and mystery. One of my favorite aspects of the novel was the incorporated humor, which had me chuckling from time to time. All of the pertinent questions are answered by the end of the novel.

There is an eclectic cast of characters, and their development is superb. Hattie is a snob at the beginning but evolves as the story goes along. The belligerent and mysterious “master of the house” also begins to change as the tale progresses. Vamelda, the psychic, is my favorite character. She can truly see the dead but admits to embellishing her act to give her clients what they expect. I thoroughly enjoyed her wacky sense of humor. If you add to this mix a murdered salesman’s ghost, Vamelda’s unusual niece, a beautiful seductress (who may be leading men to their deaths), and several additional ghosts, one has the makings of an intriguing story.

As there was nothing about this fascinating mystery that I disliked, Hattie Vavaseur achieves a rating of four out of four stars. It is enthusiastically recommended to readers who would enjoy a light mystery with paranormal and romantic features. No profanities or sex (other than kissing) are encountered in the story. However, sensitive readers need to be aware there are a couple of episodes of violence.

Hattie Vavaseur
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This story reminds me of the Miss Marple mysteries. I love the way you described all of the elements in the story! Vamelda sounds like a very interesting character, and I would love to see how things play out with Hattie and her memory problems.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Elaine LaBonte
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Life Lessons of Wayne
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine-labonte.html
Latest Review: President's Day by Stephen A. Werbel, Ph.D.

Post by Elaine LaBonte »

What fun. I'm curious to see what happens. I want to spend an evening with Hattie. Thanks for reviewing it. You've just mentioned so many subplots it must go fast. It's going on my want to read shelf right away.
"Soon I'll find the right words, they'll be very simple ..."
Some of the Dharma, by Jack Kerouac
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

Your review is so great that I want to read this book now. Thank you for this amazing review!
Heet suthar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Heet suthar »

This story reminds me of the Miss Marple mysteries.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Thanks for the great review! I’m really not surprised by Hattie’s reluctance to admit her shortcomings. I can’t wait to find out what happens.
Alexaliyo9797
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexaliyo9797 »

This is why I have always maintained that when you become rich and wealthy, never look down on people because you never know who could be of help to you in nearest future. But then I like the fact that Hattie was able to calm down and allow vamelda to help her out of her situation.
djoh_
Currently Reading: Broken Inn
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djoh.html
Latest Review: The Little Book For Big Transformations (2nd Edition) by Skip Jennings

Post by djoh_ »

Ooh, this sounds like a fun read! I will be adding this one to my TBR. Thank you for the detailed review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your wonderful review. This sounds like an interesting book with a mystery and paranormal theme. I wonder if Hattie's amnesia has anything to do with the supernatural forces.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 04:51 This story reminds me of the Miss Marple mysteries. I love the way you described all of the elements in the story! Vamelda sounds like a very interesting character, and I would love to see how things play out with Hattie and her memory problems.

Thank you for an excellent review!
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for the kind words!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Elaine LaBonte wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 05:29 What fun. I'm curious to see what happens. I want to spend an evening with Hattie. Thanks for reviewing it. You've just mentioned so many subplots it must go fast. It's going on my want to read shelf right away.
It starts off a little slow, but it picks up speed fairly fast. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for dropping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kanchan Bhil wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 07:30 Your review is so great that I want to read this book now. Thank you for this amazing review!
Thank you for the kind words and for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Heet suthar wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 09:05 This story reminds me of the Miss Marple mysteries.
Although it may be a little reminiscent of them, it is a totally unique story that showcases the author's vivid imagination. Thanks for the comment!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Your review has created a kind of anticipation in me. I'd want to add this to my list. Thank you for an amazing review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Amy Luman wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 09:41 Thanks for the great review! I’m really not surprised by Hattie’s reluctance to admit her shortcomings. I can’t wait to find out what happens.
Enjoy the book! Thanks for reading my review and commenting!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”