Review of The Sower

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Review of The Sower

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sower" by Rob Jung.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you love to play detective, you must try The Sower by Rob Jung! This mystery book will captivate you while testing your investigations skills. Despite being the second installment of the Chimera Chronicles series, the novel works as a standalone. There are some connections to the previous book, so the readers that enjoyed The Reaper will be delighted.

In 2009, a small community from Minnesota was appalled by the mysterious attack on Lorraine Blethen. She had an estranged daughter, Mary, a former drug addict that abandoned her son, Hamilton. Five years later, after the fail of the police, Hamilton hires a team of private investigators to find the assailants. Ronni Brilliant is not a conventional detective; she is a transgender person and former marine. Together with her colleagues, our protagonist decides that tracking Mary is their main lead. They believe that she might be hiding in plain sight, under the name of Magnolia Kanaranzi, a media mogul. Magnolia is in the middle of a campaign for the Senator seat, so she is busy scheming on various fronts. Who is Magnolia, and what will Ronni discover?

I loved how the author introduced the delicate topic of a transsexual character. Rob Jung managed to present the subject in a very natural manner and added details gradually. To give you an idea, that was the first mention of the LGBTQ connection: “As a “T” in that familiar string of letters, and a relative newcomer to the status of “W”, Ronni wanted to meet Kanaranzi.” Ronni was a very authentic character and presented the convincing struggle of a transgender person. This passage summarized her plight: “We want to be both. Feminine. Pretty. Caring. But we also want to kick ass. We want a man to want us, but we’re scared to be vulnerable.”

I also admired the elegant and cultured writing style. The alternating scenes added dynamic and made the book very engaging. Furthermore, it was my kind of mystery novel. The author gave hints and offered information, but let you draw your own conclusions regarding the investigations.

Only one thing left me a bit disappointed. After such a captivating plot, I expected a crescendo in the end. However, instead of a mountain, I found a predictable small hill. Nevertheless, the author provided closure for all the characters, so I didn’t consider the novel deserved less than a perfect rating.

The Sower gets a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because it was an excellent thriller book. It will appeal to people that love murder investigations and mysteries. Readers that enjoy LGBTQ-related topics should add the novel to their libraries. If you love to discover strong female characters in your books, then you should give it a try.

The Sower
View: on Bookshelves
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

A captivating review with investigation research. I loved the review. The curious tone on review feels exciting. Thank you for such an amazing review.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

From the title, I thought this was a religious book or something along the lines but I must confess, I'm pleasantly suprised. Even more fascinated by the storyline. It really sounds like an interesting book. I would love to find out if Magnolia turned out to be who Ronnie thought she was?
Captivating review!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Mayur Arjune wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 07:05 A captivating review with investigation research. I loved the review. The curious tone on review feels exciting. Thank you for such an amazing review.
Thank you so much for your feedback, I appreciate it!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Nqobile771 wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 09:13 From the title, I thought this was a religious book or something along the lines but I must confess, I'm pleasantly suprised. Even more fascinated by the storyline. It really sounds like an interesting book. I would love to find out if Magnolia turned out to be who Ronnie thought she was?
Captivating review!
The title is misleading, indeed, but it connects with the previous book, The Reaper. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

The Sower seems like a very interesting book written very skillfully. It is a pity that the ending is not more appropriate for a book of this type. Thanks for the reading recommendation.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

markodim721 wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 15:24 The Sower seems like a very interesting book written very skillfully. It is a pity that the ending is not more appropriate for a book of this type. Thanks for the reading recommendation.
Thank you for stopping by, I appreciate your comment!
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I've been a fan of both investigative movies and books and I think I'll definitely enjoy this one. Splendid work on the review.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Unsullied wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 02:07 I've been a fan of both investigative movies and books and I think I'll definitely enjoy this one. Splendid work on the review.
Glad to hear that! I appreciate your comment!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This looks like a very good book. I think that it’s something I would like. I’d like to read the first book in the series first, though.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

Excellent review! This book sounds very eerie. I might have to sample it later.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Playing detective with such a well thought out cast of characters sounds like a blast!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Amy Luman wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 10:14 This looks like a very good book. I think that it’s something I would like. I’d like to read the first book in the series first, though.
I am sure you will enjoy it too! Thank you for your comment!
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Wesusa wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:31 Excellent review! This book sounds very eerie. I might have to sample it later.
Go ahead! Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it.
Raluca_Mihaila

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Jagiine wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:54 Playing detective with such a well thought out cast of characters sounds like a blast!
I was glad to be part of the investigating team :). Thank you for stopping by!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”