Review of "Cry Wolf - The Bummer Lambs"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of "Cry Wolf - The Bummer Lambs"

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Cry Wolf - The Bummer Lambs"" by Cheryl Warren-Cooley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A recent series of wolf attacks have occurred in Blaine County, Colorado. The previous attacks were about 22 years ago when the wolves were almost completely destroyed after they slaughtered Sheriff Blanton Taylor. Now, it is up to Blanton’s son, Sheriff Rhett Taylor, Carson, who is part Comanche, and Jinjer, who has some secret extrasensory abilities, to track them and put a stop to the carnage. Although all three are police officers now, they have been friends since childhood. Each of them lost a parent at an early age, and they have been nicknamed “the Bummer Lambs.” (According to the book, page 24, “A bummer lamb is a lamb who has been rejected at birth by its mother, for one reason or another.”)

Carson, who possesses excellent investigative and tracking abilities, suspects that this is not an ordinary pack of wolves. In search of information, Rhett and Carson attend a lecture about wolves given by Professor Lacen Lowery. Rhett experiences an instant attraction to her, but Carson has the feeling she is somehow dangerous and possibly even evil. Does she have something to do with the wolf attacks, and if so, how is that possible?

Cry Wolf: The Bummer Lambs by Cheryl Warren Cooley is listed in the C/T/M/H genre, but it also incorporates paranormal elements. The author’s prose is descriptive, easy to understand, and narrated from the third-person point of view. The characters are intriguing and diverse. The imaginative plot moves rapidly with no boring areas.

However, there are areas that need work. The book moves back and forth in time without informing the reader. This makes it confusing at times. For instance, in the first chapter, a young woman angrily assaults a sheriff for almost shooting her friend while hunting in the woods. The sheriff’s name isn’t provided. In the second chapter, we are informed a sheriff has been killed by wolves while in the woods, and his son is being informed of his death. I assumed it was the same sheriff. However, it wasn’t. The first chapter had to do with Rhett, whereas the second chapter had gone back in time to when his father, Blanton Taylor, was killed.

Additionally, not everything is as developed as it could have been. Jinjer was given unusual paranormal abilities early in the book, and I thought that would play a role later. However, that didn’t happen. Also, we are notified that Lacen recognized someone in the audience in a hoodie at the lecture, which upset her. We don’t know why, and that wasn’t mentioned again. If the author decided to not develop those further, they shouldn’t have been included at all. However, I think that would be a mistake, especially concerning Jinjer’s abilities. That could add another dimension to the story.

Not wanting to provide a spoiler, I will merely say several questions are left unanswered at the conclusion of the novel as well. The story feels rushed. This is a short novel, only 101 pages, and plenty of room exists to clearly answer all of the questions by the book’s ending.

Plus, too many errors were encountered in the novel. These predominantly had to do with common names being capitalized and misused or missing quotation marks and commas. Because of that and the aforementioned problems, Cry Wolf: The Bummer Lambs achieves a rating of two out of four stars. The book possesses potential, and if the problem areas are fixed, it could definitely achieve a higher rating. Some readers who like crime dramas with paranormal features could probably still enjoy the story; therefore, it deserves better than one star. There are no profanities or sex and the violence is not very graphic; subsequently, I think it would be appropriate for readers 13 and older.

"Cry Wolf - The Bummer Lambs"
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

The beginning of the review made this sound like something I would like. Rhett, Carson, Jinger, and Lacen seem like relatable characters. Until the problems are fixed, I think I’ll skip it.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Amy Luman wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 17:53 The beginning of the review made this sound like something I would like. Rhett, Carson, Jinger, and Lacen seem like relatable characters. Until the problems are fixed, I think I’ll skip it.
It definitely has potential. I hope the problem areas get fixed soon. Thanks for stopping by!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a paranormal thriller that has good potential but still needs some important editing, including proofreading, to have that potential fully developed. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 08:14 This seems like a paranormal thriller that has good potential but still needs some important editing, including proofreading, to have that potential fully developed. Thank you for your honest review!
I think you are right. Thanks for taking the time to read my review and comment!
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

The story sounds interesting and unusual, too sad that the author didn't develop certain aspects in the book. Thanks for the honest review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like this has promise, but it's not fully realized. It's too bad that there are so many unanswered questions. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Khushboo Barwar wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 21:47 The story sounds interesting and unusual, too sad that the author didn't develop certain aspects in the book. Thanks for the honest review.
It was a very imaginative plot, and the book has lots of potential. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 04:45 It sounds like this has promise, but it's not fully realized. It's too bad that there are so many unanswered questions. Thanks.
Part of this would be easily fixed if the author chooses to. Thanks for taking the time to read my review and comment!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I am sure the wolves are innocent, or at least they are just a tool. I hope they won't suffer! Thank for another engaging review, I am very curious to unravel this mystery!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

Seems like this book has a great plot but poor editing. Hopefully it will undergo another round of editing. Thank you for the thorough review!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

I have a hard time with books that jump back and forth on a timeline unless it is explicitly clear! Thanks for the review.
Neelakshi jain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neelakshi-jain.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Neelakshi jain »

Thank you for this honest review but I like the sound of it. So I will try to read it whenever I found the time to do so. :ugeek2:
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

The plot seems really interesting. Hopefully the author fixes the issues you mentioned. Thanks for the great review!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Sometimes just because a book has not been edited well even after having a great plot disappoint us to the core. I hope they edit this book thoroughly soon. Then one day I might read this one too

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”