Review of Souljourner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Review of Souljourner

Post by Peace Odii »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Souljourner" by Paul Steven Stone.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Souljourner: A Karmic Crime Story was written by a prolific writer, Paul Steven Stone. It is a fictional work with an unusual twist of plot. David acknowledged the inherent weakness in him and his penchant for attracting domineering women. As a long-time member of the "Seekers of Truth," he strongly believed in ILE (Individual Life Experiences), Reincarnation, and the Law of Karma. David was of the notion that there are special spiritual entities at work in every human being which directs their activities. These entities are referred to as "Guides." The spirit of his second wife controls his third wife to kill him, but how would this experience end? Find out what eventually happened. Did she succeed? Why will the spirit of his late wife attempt to kill him?

Wandering through life, we are unaware of the forces that operate around us. This is a story imbued with mysticism, fate, soulmate, life after death, the role of karma in our daily lives. It is also a warning to the next "Souljourner" on earth.

One thing I liked about the book was the poignant use of words and the construction of chapters by the author. The provision of a glossary of words was very commendable, as it aids readers in understanding some unfamiliar words used in the novel.

I appreciate the author for having the interest of readers at heart. Using the first and third-person pronouns interchangeably, he makes sure to indicate when he is about to enter a new phase. This was seen in the way he demarcated the novel into parts with distinct headings.

One negative aspect was the abrupt endings employed by the author. Chapter five was an example of this scenario. Also, there were repetitions of points and phrases, which the author already made mention initially. I think those unnecessary repetitions make the book bulky; they might bore some readers. For example, the author repeatedly talked about Blossom, the late wife of David, and her malicious character.

Another negative aspect was the fact that the book was not properly paged. Writing the page numbers would have aided readers in keeping track of their progress. It also made it difficult to know where the errors were located. Aside from the issues above, there was nothing else that I disliked about the book.

The book seemed edited professionally, as I did not find any significant error. I still rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the formatting issues mentioned above. I recommend it to those who would love to know more about reincarnation and soulmates. If you are a fan of crime thrillers, this book is also for you.

Souljourner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I read a book I think with the same context before and to be honest, I wasn't able to finish it. Maybe this book isn’t for me. Thank you for this astonishing and honest review anyhow!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Even though I don’t personally believe in reincarnation, possession, and spirits, I think that I’ll read this. It is a novel, after all.
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

I am a fan of crime thrillers and am looking forward to reading this novel. Great and informative review. Thank you for your hard work.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a unique supernatural crime thriller that, despite the flaws you pointed out, is engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

The spirit of his second wife controls his third wife to kill him, but how would this experience end? This sounds amazing. But I don't like the Reincarnation and law of Karma part. Will pass this. Thanks for your review.
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Crime thrillers are something that excites me to read them all the time. Thanku you for the detailed review. Hope to read this soon.
Bethany Nystrand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-nystrand.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Love by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Bethany Nystrand »

Well I don’t know if this is the book for me, but the premise is fascinating. I think I will check it out. I am not usually satisfied with any of the crime novels I read, so to find one that interests me is actually quite amazing! The lack of numbering on the pages sounds a little annoying though.
Rehana Afzal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rehana Afzal »

I read a book I think with the same context before and to be honest, I wasn't able to finish it. Maybe this book isn’t for me. Thank you for this astonishing and honest review anyhow!
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Sounds like the best book ever. Thanks for a great review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Millicent_2
Favorite Book: The Curious Spell of Madam Genova
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-millicent-2.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Millicent_2 »

The title caught my attention and your review sounds interesting so I will check out this book. I am a fan of reincarnation, spiritual guides, and the law of karma.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”