Review of Son Of A Gunna

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Son Of A Gunna

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Son Of A Gunna" by Robert George III.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pistol has just regained his freedom after spending nine years in prison. While Pistol was locked up, his nephews, Darrell and Boobie, became influential in the dangerous streets of Winter Haven, Florida, selling drugs and making crazy money. When Pistol shows up unexpectedly, his nephews are happy to see their notorious uncle, who once controlled the streets before his incarceration. Pistol wishes to announce his return in grand style; hence, they all storm the club for a rap music concert.

Meanwhile, Darrell and Boobie's drug supplier, Re'nard, who is also the head of the Haitian gang in Winter Haven, also shows up for the same concert. In the club, Re'nard feels insulted and intimidated by Pistol's extravagance and how his ex-girlfriend is openly flirting with Pistol. When chaos ensues in the club, Re'nard and his gang believe it's an opportunity to make a bold decision. If only they knew what that decision would lead to, perhaps they wouldn't have made it. Now, there's a war brewing! Who will still be standing when the inevitable happens?

Son Of A Gunna by Robert George III is the first installment in the series. The author uses the third-person point of view to tell the story, thereby giving the reader an omniscient view of even the events happening simultaneously in the book. The author narrates an urban/hood fiction story that holds nothing back in showcasing how gang members live their lives. So if you love such stories, there are many aspects of this book that make it a thrilling read.

I struggled at first to come to terms with the slang and colorful dialect used throughout the book. However, I soon adapted and found it to be exciting. I enjoyed the characterization and thought all the characters contributed to making the story intriguing. I especially liked how Darrell and Boobie respected their uncle, Pistol. They acknowledged how he took care of them before his incarceration and cared for him in return. There are many characters in the book, but I love how the author concentrates on the main ones. As a result, I could easily keep track of who was who.

Furthermore, I enjoyed the dialogues in the book, as they were believable. They excellently portrayed how African-American gangsters conversed. I loved that I couldn't predict how the story would end due to the author's suspenseful writing style. Also, his descriptions are vivid, making me enjoy the action scenes in the book. It was easy to imagine what was happening in the book, and I wished not to cross paths with some of the characters described in it.

Nevertheless, my reading experience wasn't all rosy. The editing leaves more to be desired, as I found many errors in the book. However, another round of proofreading would rectify that. What I disliked most was the supernatural element introduced later in the book. In my opinion, it didn't fit the book's concept, and the narrations were believable until that aspect. Because I don't want to spoil the book for prospective readers, I would only say that it is unrealistic for someone who underwent surgery and was unconscious to get up and carry on with life as if nothing happened because someone prayed.

In conclusion, I rate Son Of A Gunna 3 out of 4 stars because I found it intriguing and action-packed. The many errors and the unrealistic event in the book jointly made it lose a star. Some readers might not like its cliffhanger ending, but I think it would make readers eager to grab the second book in the series. I recommend this book only to adults who love urban crime stories due to the vividly described sex scenes, violence, and myriads of curse words that I found in it.

Son Of A Gunna
View: on Bookshelves
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the realism of the plot, presented in well-designed dialogues.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I bet Pistol was his street name. He certainly lived up to it I hope he did not die by the same pistol. Riveting review, I'll definitely give this book a chance!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging crime thriller but I understand being at the very least puzzled seeing a supernatural element being introduced far into the book. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

The characters sound well developed and definitely make me want to read the book, the typos sound like it could put me off but I’m willing to risk it.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I like a series, but I don’t think one about drugs is for me. Great review!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

This doesn't seem like my kind of story, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed your analysis of the slang in the dialogs and the realistic cultural portrayal in the book.

Thank you for a great review.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I love a good action-packed story. Seeing the world from the lifestyle of a gangster is quite exhilarating. Although they do bad things, they care still quite caring and responsible. I liked that Pistol took care of his nephews. Great review.
Ldpuff
Currently Reading: Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ldpuff.html
Latest Review: The Merriest, The Beariest Bears by Doreen M. Atkinson

Post by Ldpuff »

Sounds like an action packed book! I agree that a cliffhanger ending helps the author hook the reader into reading more books in the series. Nice review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. Who could have thought that a rap music concert can lead to a territory war between an ex-convict and a gang leader? Still, I do agree that stuffing supernatural details into a book like this is not very fitting.
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

Nqobile771 wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 06:43 I bet Pistol was his street name. He certainly lived up to it I hope he did not die by the same pistol. Riveting review, I'll definitely give this book a chance!
Definitely loved your hilarious comment.😂
It seems like an exciting read. What to know further about the story. Will try to pick this book soon. Thank you for the amazing review.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

I agree that introducing supernatural part later in the book can be a bit disturbing. I like the plot. Looking forward to Pistol's return!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Supernatural elements and gangs seem like an odd combination. However, I would find more about this world. Thank you for your recommendation and this wonderful review!
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This sounds interesting but doesn't seem like my type of book.

Great review though.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

The unrealistic part of the book would bother me as well. I'm not fond of books with gangsters, so I'll pass on this one. Great review as usual!
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”