Review of I Had to Leave

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Review of I Had to Leave

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Had to Leave" by Donna Jean Picerno.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Had to Leave by Donna Jean Picerno follows the story of April and the devastating effects that child abuse and neglect had on her and her sisters after their father's death.

April had been a popular and happy cheerleader in high school, looking forward to going to college. Her parents had tried to give her and her little sisters the best life they could afford even though they were under massive financial strain. April's dad was diagnosed with cancer and died shortly after. After her father's death, April's mom took to drinking and became an entirely different person; she always asked April for more money. April had to drop out of school and started working sixty hours a week at a grocery store. This was only the beginning of a journey riddled with pain and suffering.

This book is a sensational novel. It's not a hidden fact that this book is thoroughly entertaining, and readers will quickly identify with it. The story is an incredible rollercoaster ride with breathtaking twists and turn. The book is very original, enthralling, and superb. The writing showed a tremendous amount of depth and heart and is sure to keep readers glued to the book till the very end. The author created a story so fresh that it blows past the reader's expectations. The way the author presented April's struggles can make the reader doubt whether this is a fictional tale — and that's a good thing.

The description of events was so apt that I was quickly drawn in to feel what the characters felt. One particular instance was when an unknown truck driver raped April. With every word the author penned down, I could paint vivid images in my mind of that drastic encounter. Such was the case for many other events in the book.

The author's writing style is simple and very easy to comprehend for all categories of readers. There was no use of ambiguous words that would make the reader pause to look them up. The chapters were also concise and straight to the point. In this book, the reader will meet a two-page chapter. Thankfully, it didn't make the book choppy.

Another big plus to the book is the characterization. The characters, dialogues, and story come together so beautifully. I commend the author's ability to create solid characters and engaging conversations. The most compelling character is Cobra. He is everything anyone would ask for in a friend. He loves April genuinely and is always ready to help her in all situations, even when it might cause danger to him. His act of selfless love is simply out of the world and is unparalleled.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. The writing was excellent, and the editing was exceptional. Therefore, I'd gladly award it 4 out of 4 stars. Lovers of thrillers would enjoy April's tale. However, I'd warn you that a rape scene was briefly described. Though it was a one-time description, sensitive readers should still tread with caution.

I Had to Leave
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
mohamed elshemi
Currently Reading: Magic Blue Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by mohamed elshemi »

Family disturbances and social disintegration are the cause of family destruction and have a negative impact on children
very difficult thing
Thank you
Mickyzmw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Mickyzmw »

It's very disheartening how other children finds solace at school and etc, unlike at home amongst their family members. Family is supposed to be number one haven for kids!!! Shout out to those who volunteer their time and a leaning shoulder just to make sure kids who trusts them with their family troubles are protected from hell of a life.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I always feel drawn to these kinds of characters and books. It is strange considering that nothing similar has happened to me. Thanks for the great review.
sumi anu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumi-anu.html
Latest Review: Deceitful Survival by LC Lee

Post by sumi anu »

this sounds like a really interesting read. great review!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

This book really gonna be rollercoaster ride for any reader. Reading about deaths and getting raped is sensitive topic for me. But as you explained there are more things too in this book, I'm gonna try to pick it soon. Thank you for the beautiful review.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

It is said to see April has to go through this. But good to see he has friends like Cobra. Thank you for your great review!
Vincy Collins
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vincy Collins »

It kind of giving strength and relief when see April life at the beginning when she has a loving and caring father and suddenly the father pass away.suddenly life change dramatically for April and she go through difficult time lose of her father and even rape.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

This sounds like a stunning book, with all the picturesque details. Also, the use of simple language to describe such drastic events will help to understand the book with more clarity. Thanks for the review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like quite a dark thriller with poor April passing from one tragic event to another, so I'm not sure I feel like reading it even if it's a terrific novel. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Seems really interesting to read, the plot and the way you honestly express how enthralling this book is, captivated me so much. I would love to read this soon, for I am keen on this genre. Thank you for this amazing review!
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Your review is really well put. I enjoy dark thrillers a lot. Looking forward to this masterpiece. Great job!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

An interesting character with an interesting plotline. Would love to read this book soon. Thanku for this review.
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

I love when conversations in a book are interesting. I hope to find this as interesting as you have said. Amazing review.
Theexceptional
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theexceptional.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Theexceptional »

Every child should be properly taken care of, not abused. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”