Review of Pie Yi Yi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review of Pie Yi Yi

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pie Yi Yi" by S. A. Stolinsky.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jaime Ross is the last offspring of a family famous for its delicious pies. Her ancestors have been baking the best pies money can buy with secret recipes for decades, but now Jaime’s mother and grandmother are dead. The only ones left are Jaime and her 99-year-old great-grandmother Minnie. Running the pie shop is too much for the old lady, and Jaime is the only one who can take over. Unfortunately, the newly built pie shop burns down on the opening night. Sadly, also Minnie’s fiancé Pete disappears into the pile of ashes. Strange incidents follow one after another. The police seem to be getting nowhere, and Jaime starts her own investigations. Soon she finds herself tangled in the middle of a thickening net of deceit and murder. Will Jaime unveil all the secrets connected to the fire of her pie shop? Or is she going to end up like everything else around her – a smoking pile of ashes?

Reading Pie Yi Yi by the author S. A. Stolinsky was one crazy ride. I felt like I’d climbed into a speeding pie wagon. The driver kept on making unpredictable turns that caused me to almost fall out of the wagon several times. Trying to keep up with all the pie ingredients and unimaginable events, along with the people involved, was enough to make me hold on to my seat with both hands. One of the best qualifications of this book was undoubtedly its witty characters. Some of them were simply spectacular. For example, Jaime’s great-grandma Minnie was outright hilarious. At the age of 99, she was still fit like a young deer and partly re-living her youth as a dancer. Still, sometimes she appeared old and fragile and seemed to lose her grip on reality. Jaime loved her great-grandmother unconditionally. Following their relationship was endearing. In addition to the characters, another admirable feature of this book was the unpredictable storyline. There was no way of guessing who would turn out to be a friend and who would be the enemy. The dizzying events were developing with the speed of light. There was absolutely no time to get bored around this story.

This book belongs to the category of comedy fiction. I love reading clever satire, and my main reason for choosing this book for review was its genre. Along with a cute cover picture, that is. Unfortunately, my impression is that this book has been finished in a hurry. All the foundations were in perfect order, including the adequately exaggerated characters. However, the editing appeared sloppy. Sadly, it went up to the point that it started to get on my nerves. What comes to the story itself, the entirety did not seem fully finalized. It included some silly inconsistencies that the choice of the genre could not explain. I am guessing that the author had a deadline too tight to meet. The second critique considers the characters created by the author. As has been said above, some of them were hilarious. However, the problem was that there were too many of them. Keeping up with such an army proved to be challenging and even a bit frustrating. In addition, I suspected on a few occasions that the author had mixed up their names.

After considering the positives and the negatives, my conclusion is to rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. All in all, Pie Yi Yi by S. A. Stolinsky was a light and enjoyable reading experience. It got me laughing out loud multiple times. With an appropriate final touch, this book would have deserved a full rating from me.

My warm recommendations considering this book go to all the friends of comedy and satire. As a light read, this book is a good choice in the middle of everyday life that sometimes tends to get too serious. It offers good laughs and lightens up a cloudy day. You might even want to try baking some of these famous pies. Lucky enough, they included the recipes. Just be careful not to burn down your house!

Pie Yi Yi
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Maliha Naveed »

I am always interested in narratives related to culinary theme. Will try to grab this one too. Nice review. Keep it up.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Wow! I love your passionate review!

I agree that the cover art is cute. Is that Jaime's canine friend on the cover? I like the way you described the memorable characters and riveting plot. With a bit of fine-tuning, I'm sure this book could be excellent. Despite the editing issues, I would still want to give it a try based on everything else you mentioned.

Thank you for your thoroughly entertaining review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am excited to read this one. I don’t know anything about pies, but I do know something about reading. I love mysteries and I really love comedy. It looks like this combines the best of both worlds.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Maliha Naveed wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 02:32 I am always interested in narratives related to culinary theme. Will try to grab this one too. Nice review. Keep it up.
Thanks for stopping by, reading and commenting! 😃
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 07:14 Wow! I love your passionate review!

I agree that the cover art is cute. Is that Jaime's canine friend on the cover? I like the way you described the memorable characters and riveting plot. With a bit of fine-tuning, I'm sure this book could be excellent. Despite the editing issues, I would still want to give it a try based on everything else you mentioned.

Thank you for your thoroughly entertaining review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Thanks so much for your feedback, I truly appreciate it! :tiphat: You have to read the book to find out who’s the owner of the dog :wink: if you like this type of books, I am pretty sure you would enjoy this one!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Amy Luman wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 13:23 I am excited to read this one. I don’t know anything about pies, but I do know something about reading. I love mysteries and I really love comedy. It looks like this combines the best of both worlds.
Well, you are right about that. This book really is a match for mystery and comedy lovers! What comes to pies, better be careful with those. I wouldn’t want to see more burning buildings :lol:
Kirsi
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel gives me mixed feelings, as it seems a fanny comedy but I'm not sure about the mystery part considering that it seems to be falling flat in the end. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

NetMassimo wrote: 05 Aug 2021, 06:46 This novel gives me mixed feelings, as it seems a fanny comedy but I'm not sure about the mystery part considering that it seems to be falling flat in the end. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Well, if you are in need of a good laugh, I would suggest you give this book a try. Despite of my critiques, it was hilarious! 😃 thanks for reading & commenting!
Kirsi
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I absolutely lover how appealing the cover page is and will therefore give it a try. Nice review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like that the author elaborated his characters to the last detail. I especially like how he designed the character of Minnie. Thanks for the great review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Unsullied wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 03:38 I absolutely lover how appealing the cover page is and will therefore give it a try. Nice review.
Thanks for reading and commenting!
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

markodim721 wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 07:48 I like that the author elaborated his characters to the last detail. I especially like how he designed the character of Minnie. Thanks for the great review.
Minnie was definitely one of the best characters in this book! Thanks for reading and commenting!
Kirsi
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I love a story that contains humuor, it makes me have this giddy feeling when reading. The author did a great job in the story plot and character development. Seems like a story that will take you to one bumpy ride. Thanks for the review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Muna Chizzy wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 01:31 I love a story that contains humuor, it makes me have this giddy feeling when reading. The author did a great job in the story plot and character development. Seems like a story that will take you to one bumpy ride. Thanks for the review.
This story really was quite a wild ride! :lol: Thanks for stopping by!
Kirsi

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”