Review of Where the Moths Fly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Review of Where the Moths Fly

Post by BookBoyP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Where the Moths Fly" by Joanna Loring.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where The Moths Fly by Joanna Loring is a fictional book set around SandIsle. SandIsle is a beautiful beach enclosure that houses tourists in the summer. One cold day, a dead whale washes up the shore, making the locals angry at the fishermen responsible for such a dastardly act. So they gather around the whale and observe a sort of ritual and funeral. However, this event is ruined by the son of one of the founding fathers of SandIsle.

During the funeral, the troublesome nineteen-year-old boy named Jacob strikes again by mutilating the whale's corpse, which makes the people and his father fed up with his constant misbehavior. Scolding Jacob made him place a curse on the people present at the funeral. After the funeral, a series of mysterious events occur, including one of the locals finding her husband dead, one person’s dog going missing, and the disappearance of kids. The whole town must come together to solve the mystery of these events. However, who or what was responsible? Could it be as a result of Jacob’s curse?  

The book is written from a third-person point of view while the focus shifts between the characters seamlessly as the story progresses. At the beginning of the book, the author presented many characters, which left me confused about who they all were. However, the author dedicating a chapter to each character was able to clear any confusion I had earlier, as this served as the backstory for each character. Where The Moths Fly by Joanna Loring has a bit of suspense to it. As the mysterious events unfold, I tried to predict the subsequent events and who was responsible. I feel my favorite character would be John, a divorced local father of one daughter. He drives a cool car, but the trait I loved about him was how he never questioned when they asked him to help in looking for the missing kids.

The plot development in this book is exquisitely done, as the story starts individually and slowly intertwines every person’s story until a perfect storyline is achieved. It is also worth noting that Where The Moths Fly by Joanna Loring is a well-edited book, as I did see any error while reading, which ensured that my reading flow was not interrupted. I did not have any problems or dislikes while reading the book whatsoever. However, I did not fully understand Jacob’s character. As the main antagonist in the book, the author failed to give reasons why he turned out to be such a rascal.

Where The Moths Fly by Joanna Loring deserves a 4 out of 4, as there is not much to complain about. The story is also descriptive and comprehensively detailed. The book is only suitable for mature readers, as there are some profane words. I would recommend this book to people who love mystery and suspense, as this book has this in abundance.

Where the Moths Fly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hritik kumar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hritik kumar »

Right at the beginning of the book, I got confused as to who they all were. It served as the backstory for each character. Where there is a little suspense in the story of Joanna Loring. As the mysterious events unfolded, I began to think about the events ahead. My favorite character would be John, a divorced local father of a daughter. But what I liked about him was that he never questioned him when he asked him to help him search for missing children.The story of this book begins individually and gradually adds to the story of each individual until a complete story is achieved. It's also worth noting that Where the Moths Fly by Joanna Loring is a well-edited book, as I saw several errors in the book,Which ensured that my flow of reading was not interrupted. Loved reading the book. However, I did not fully understand the character of Jacob. As the main antagonist in the book, the author fails to explain why he turns out to be so evil.
Shreeya Tambe
Currently Reading: The MISOGI Method
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreeya-tambe.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Post by Shreeya Tambe »

I have been looking for a novel to read, and I must say that after reading this review, I cant wait to try this one out. Thank you!
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I love a good mystery, and the plot premise has certainly piqued my interest. I would love to see how the story plays out. Thanks for the review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
viapop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viapop.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by viapop »

Thank you for your honest review of Where The Moths Fly. It sounds like an interesting read and I love a good mystery. I also enjoy a story that slowly unfolds so that it takes awhile to see how all the characters are connected. I will have to check this one out!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller with horror elements in a story that unfolds with suspense. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
marcel lawrence
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by marcel lawrence »

There is much to discover with this novel, I will certainly get this one. Thank you for your review.
Yanna_Saicam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yanna_Saicam »

Seems interesting, might as well add this to my list :) I love a good mystery
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

The potential of this book is enormous. I’ll soon give this a try. Thank you anyway, for this honest, explicit and fascinating review!
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

It is indeed a unique plot. I would love to read this book. Thank you for this great review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”