Review of Whitby Rock

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Whitby Rock

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whitby Rock" by Kev Freeman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jack, Chris, and Bob are friends and students at City University. The three and other classmates take a field trip to Whitby to study the rural village of Sneaton Thorpe. The friends feel uneasy about the village and cannot wait to leave. While conducting their study, they meet Peters, an elderly and reserved man. He tells them an unbelievable robbery and disappearance story that happened some years back and recruits them on a lucrative mission. Lured by the promise of money, the boys accept the mission and set out to complete it on their last night in Whitby. At the center of the mission are delicious and sugary sweets with a secret ingredient. However, everything goes wrong, leading to a massive fire that leaves the town reeling and in shock.

About five years after the incident, Detective Inspector Mary Hunter arrives at an unusual crime scene inside the St. Bridget’s Church in Sneaton Thorpe. A man hangs inside the bell tower dead, and below him is a deceased PC Jim Johnstone, a twenty-three-year veteran of the force. He seemingly fell to his death, bashing his head open. Inside his palm is a single piece of candy, and in his pocket are fifteen wrappers of the same candy. As for the hanging man, fingerprints and everything else do not reveal any clue about who he is or how he got up to the bell tower. The case left Detective Hunter baffled and with several questions. Why and who killed the man? What led to the seasoned officer’s tragic death? Most importantly, what is it about the candies and the strange village? Everyone seems to harbor secrets, including the church Reverend.

The book's introduction instantly captivates as it opens with two unusual deaths and the first set of questions. The character introduction and development are excellent and in-depth. Kev Freeman gives extensive details about each person, like details right from childhood to adulthood. For instance, after introducing Jack, the author goes back to when he was seven years old and his relationship with his father. The intricate descriptions additionally bring the characters to life, making them relatable and distinguishable. The book is also highly descriptive, and I could feel and experience the sights and scenes of Whitby, Sweden, and the village.

My favorite aspect of the book is the emotions it evokes. Reading about the graveyard, an odd chef and waiter duo, and the desolate streets of Sneaton gave me goosebumps. I could also experience similar emotions as the characters, like suspicion, anxiety, confusion, and even relief. This made the read engaging and captivating. I equally love the chapter headings throughout the book, which creatively add more mystery and promise, giving hints on what the chapter holds. However, I disliked how the story lost momentum as it went on, and the author introduced too many characters, which made it hectic to follow them and their contributions. Some had no particular role to play and hence disappeared within the story.

I found a few grammatical and spelling errors, evidence of the book’s professional editing. The language employed is intelligible, with a few Swedish words and phrases, which I enjoyed learning. There are no erotic, sensitive, or profane scenes and words within the read, and it is suitable for everyone of any faith or non-religion. As the book concludes, it goes back to suspense and tantalizing revelations and connections. In addition, the specific timelines (for example, the murder that happened on Sunday, March 12th, 1998, 6:10 am) make Whitby Rock very realistic and easy to follow. Therefore, I give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this thrilling novel to those looking for a suspenseful read that combines investigative work, secret societies, covert operations, strange family ties, and a bit of humor.

Whitby Rock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
shreyagupta
Currently Reading: And Then There Were None
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyagupta.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by shreyagupta »

The book sounds like a fun and engaging read. The mystery is an intriguing one. Thanks for the review.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

I think I've read something similar to this but I can't pin-point it, at least the opening that is. Incredible review though. I'd love to solve that mystery, with Detective Hunter of course.
laseniola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laseniola.html
Latest Review: The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa

Post by laseniola »

shreyagupta wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 03:24 The book sounds like a fun and engaging read. The mystery is an intriguing one. Thanks for the review.
It indeed sounded fun and engaging. I would love to see its movie adaptation someday.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Candies and a mystery related to them, sounds unique. Too many characters and loss of momentum, that's not the best combo. Thank you for a great detailed review!
Anna Dlamini
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Anna Dlamini »

:techie-studyinggray: Thank you for the review the book sounds interesting. id love to read the full book
Saloni Amin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Saloni Amin »

As mentioned unusual deaths at the start of the story with flashbacks to the past and suspense seems like a thrilling read it would be. Already added to my list looking to anticipate how the murders are solved. Thank you for such a great review.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

This sounds like a highly suspenseful and engaging investigative mystery. I will be adding this to my bookshelf. Thanks for sharing.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing thriller with some original bits and secrets that get revealed throughout the book. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

The cover attracted me already. Thanku you for the great review. Will add this to my shelf. Your review literally made think about this book twice.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”