Review of Mrs evans

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Review of Mrs evans

Post by Mys_Trea »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mrs evans" by Patricia dillon.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mrs Evans is a story about a couple who find themselves at the mercy of a shady con artist. The author, Patricia Dillon, describes the book as “an attempt at a thriller.” Maria O’Donnell, the protagonist, is the head of the kitchen at a day center for people recovering from mental health problems. She, a recovering member herself, has been active in the day center for some years and seems to be doing well. It is also an open secret that she has come into some money, which is true since her mother passed away and left her a respectable amount of funds. John Piotrowski is a fellow member of the center with his own troubled past. He is still battling his demons as he asks Maria out and the two go on to develop a relationship. Both are vulnerable, and end up at the hands of Mrs Evans, a crooked opportunist.

I am a fan of thrillers and mysteries, so this book seemed like a good choice. It was a very short read, and I managed to complete it in one sitting. I was disappointed in the overall story. In fact, my favorite aspect about the book was its short length, which kept me from spending too much time on a story I did not enjoy. I ended up surmising that perhaps the intention of the book was to warn naïve people about the dangers of trusting falsely.  

Maria was a character I found to be quite frustrating, as she seemed too easily manipulated. As someone blessed with good instincts, she ignored them at many points, much to her own peril. An example is when she agrees to accompany her partner to a psychic, regardless of the fact that she had sworn to herself not to do so, based on her religious beliefs. John, her love interest, was also an exceptionally underdeveloped character. He barely said much throughout the book, and it was difficult to tell whether he was a victim or co-conspirator.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. It was difficult for me to find much to like. Without ruining the book for anyone, I will say that the ending left me baffled. I felt that important issues were not resolved. The editing on the book does not strike me as having been professionally done, as I found quite a few errors throughout my read. There simply wasn’t enough to carry the story through. I wish there was more drama, or at least some witty banter between characters. Unfortunately, the book simply was not interesting.

I did not encounter profanity or violence in the book, thus it is suited to both young and older readers. Thrillers are my favorite genre to read, however, I would not recommend this book to fellow fans. There was no thrill or excitement. The concept of well-meaning people stumbling upon villains is an age-old one, and I felt that a lot more could have been done with it. Sadly, that opportunity was missed.

Mrs evans
View: on Bookshelves
"She remembered who she was.
And then the game changed."
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I am really sorry that it turned out to be a disappointment. At first the story does sound good and the plot is nice but not well written. Thank you for reviewing it.
Mys_Trea
Currently Reading: Seconds to Live
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mys-trea.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Mys_Trea »

Kavita Shah wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:46 I am really sorry that it turned out to be a disappointment. At first the story does sound good and the plot is nice but not well written. Thank you for reviewing it.
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment, Kavita.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Mys_Trea wrote: 11 Jun 2021, 03:02
Kavita Shah wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 11:46 I am really sorry that it turned out to be a disappointment. At first the story does sound good and the plot is nice but not well written. Thank you for reviewing it.
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and leave a comment, Kavita.
You're most welcome. :tiphat:
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

The premise of this book sounds interesting, so it’s unfortunate that the execution fell flat. Thanks for the review! Hopefully the author will edit the book to be more interesting.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”