Official Review: Deciduous by Michael Devendorf

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: Deciduous by Michael Devendorf

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deciduous" by Michael Devendorf.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After the loss of her second child in a tragic accident in his treehouse, Sienna finds herself in the depths of despair. There are many lingering questions surrounding the death. As the police investigate and neighbors whisper, Sienna desperately yearns to connect with her children. A forest conservationist, she finds solace surrounded by trees and nature. As she begins to experience troubling visions, Sienna wonders if all is as it appears to be. Once symbols of grandeur and enchantment, the trees seem to have become sinister and malicious. Is she losing her mind? Are other forces at work here?

The first thing I noticed about Deciduous, written by Michael Devendorf, is its cover. This, along with the very well-written description, gave a very good first impression. The window-like graphic of the sorrowful woman in the forest seems to invite readers into her story. The entire book is submerged into a world of symbolism and themes. There is an element of mysticism, but this is cleverly intertwined with realism and psychology. The overall theme here is self-preservation; all readers will be able to relate to the tangled web the characters weave for themselves. The protagonist is realistically developed and the secondary characters each fulfill their roles with purpose. There is also some astute introspect as Sienna describes her anguish and the deafening silence of her house that no longer has children.

The best part of this book is the imagery. Time almost seems to stand still as the setting is described. Thunderstorms are illustrated in magnificent detail; as lightning strikes a tree, it does so “not wanting to release it from its electrified grasp.” These descriptions often employed the innovative use of metaphors to further satisfy my senses. I also really enjoyed the emotional imagery. The author’s ability to connect with readers on such a personal, human level is to be commended. He uses just the right words to unmask raw human feelings. “All she wanted to do was bury her face and cry until God felt sorry enough to return her children.”

There is nothing I disliked about this book. In the beginning, I felt the plot was a little stagnant, but I soon came to realize that without this lull, the imagery would not have been as dynamic as it was. The book is professionally edited, with well-organized chapters that were of appropriate length. For the reasons outlined about the book’s imagery, themes, and characterization, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There is absolutely no reservation about my rating for this book.

I recommend this book to readers who enjoy emotionally charged novels with intriguing, unexpected plots and serious themes. If you are only interested in fast-paced, energetic plots with nonstop action, this may not be the book for you. It would be most appreciated by those who enjoy thought-provoking stories that highlight human nature and relationships.

Deciduous
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

This author has portrayed the book in a very imaginative way as I read from your review. Thanks for the review! Would love to read the book!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

This sounds like a beautiful, albeit tragic, story. I was also immediately drawn to the cover and the title. Based on your review, I’ll have to give this one a try. Thanks for the review and recommendation!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
gurnamchand
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gurnamchand »

When I clicked on th book i was thinking it will be boring but after reading the review it is a beautiful and amazing book every reader must read this book
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

Wow, that cover is really striking! It’s nice to hear that the book meets the expectations from that beautiful cover. I love a detailed plot with a touch of the unexpected. Thanks for the thorough review, I’m adding it to my shelf now!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel that offers some food for thought while being developed using interesting stylistic choices. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Amazing review. My interest is definitely piqued. Can't wait to read those exquisite expressions. :D
Cindy Dee
Currently Reading: The Trafficking Murders
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindy-dee.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cindy Dee »

This sounds right up my alley! What an incredible review you've written. I'm definitely going to check this one out.
axldanna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by axldanna »

Based on the review this story is beautifully written, its tragic and mysterious in its own way i cant wait to read this
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

Splendid review! I am compelled to view the book as you do without even reading it. I shall add this to my bookshelf.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Excellent review. It was well detailed. Would love to read this book soon.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”