Official Review: Monster Castle by Tabitha Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Official Review: Monster Castle by Tabitha Williams

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Monster Castle" by Tabitha Williams.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Monster Castle by Tabitha Williams follows the story of a girl named Carmen Watterson. Her normal and boring life gets a dose of excitement when she and her brother get a chance to visit a mysterious castle. They win a contest and get to stay in the Monster Castle for two weeks, with three other people. Unbeknownst to them, the owners of the castle have concocted terrible plans for the visitors. In addition to this, Carmen also comes face to face with her nemesis, Carrie, whose presence in the castle only makes things worse.

My rating for this novel is 1 out of 4 stars. This book needs a rigorous round of editing. It is so full of grammatical mistakes that you could randomly pick any page and find at least a couple of errors in it. Apart from the general grammar, it also needs to tighten up its language. It suffers from redundant sentences, unnecessary repetition of words, and inconsistent tenses. It also needs to correct the course of its long-winded sentences, which make it difficult to follow the storyline.

The book follows the first-person narrative, but it often breaks from that and uses a third-person perspective in several scenes. What further crumbles the entire structure of the story is the writing style. The author keeps it simple and never resorts to using complicated words. This would have made it an easy read, especially for those who are new to English. However, the language and the grammar deteriorate as the story moves forward. All these factors make things confusing for the reader and spoil major twists and turns.

Despite all its flaws, I believe that some more time and effort can turn Monster Castle into a pretty decent book. What lured me into reading it was its concept. The idea of visiting a mysterious castle with dangers at every turn is enticing. At one point, the villains cook up a rather horrific plan for the protagonist and her friends. The author is also mindful of the characters and has given each of them a proper backstory to justify their actions. Considering this, it is fair to say that the idea of the story is good enough, but it needs proper execution to be more impactful.

As for the audience, I wouldn’t advise anyone to go for it in its current state. The novel is too raw and unpolished for anyone to enjoy reading it. All in all, Monster Castle needs a couple of revisions before it is sent out into the world.

Monster Castle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Interesting plot. I'd love to know what later became of Carmen after she met with her nemesis in the castle. Great review.
Peace Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-odii.html
Latest Review: Justin's Quest by Winsome Board

Post by Peace Odii »

The name "Monster Castle" creates some tension in me. Good job here.
Hunter Tester
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Silent Patient
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunter-tester.html
Latest Review: Whale of Wonder by Marie-Paule Mahoney

Post by Hunter Tester »

From your first paragraph, the book actually sounded interesting. Sorry it didn’t turn out to be that enjoyable for you though. Thanks for the review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

It looks like you received a draft rather than a finished work. Maybe the author needs the help of a professional editor to develop it properly. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Thanks for the unbiased and detailed review.
Da Rafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-da-rafi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Da Rafi »

The mystery of the life of Carmen Waterson and her brother comes to the castle, and extraordinary things happen to her, an interesting review for its readers.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

The plot sounds intriguing and full of potential. I hope the author addresses the mistakes you’ve mentioned to make it its best version. Thanks for the honest review!
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

The plot sounds interesting. But I'll wait for fully edited version of this book. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”