Official Review: Inhumanity by Nicholas Barker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: Inhumanity by Nicholas Barker

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inhumanity" by Nicholas Barker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Benjamin Price is an astute young man who lost his parents and lives in New York trying to climb up the corporate ladder at the Northeast Bank. In an initial moment, his progress is slowed by the master banker, Mr. Taveshy. This old bank employee is hugely controlling and does not let the novice deal with any potential customer. His life begins to change when a wealthy tycoon enters the bank to invest his money and realizes that Benjamin is the only employee available. After getting such a significant investment for the bank, the apprentice is praised, and the former master banker resigns. A few days later, the protagonist becomes a master banker. His life seems to be progressing as he wanted. Could anything hinder his dreams?

After that, the protagonist discovers that his aunt died and left a gigantic manor in Hillsborough, North Carolina. Having to sort out the bureaucratic mess to receive his inheritance and then sell the estate, Benjamin has to spend some time where his new manor is located. The protagonist's initial objective was to solve everything quickly to get back to New York. However, some supernatural appearances, economic difficulties, and even a romance will delay him more than he would like.

As it became clear after the opening paragraphs, Inhumanity by Nicholas Barker is a C/T/M/H novel set in a rural area in North Carolina. In "About the Author," in the last two pages, the reader discovers that this work is the entry of Nicholas in the writing world. According to him, "he has deep roots within the folklore of the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina." Did he do well in his first book? Let's find out.

The answer is a definite "yes." There are many positive aspects to mention, but I will highlight two: the book is addictive, and the suspense is of excellent quality. The first point is important because it is rare for a debutant writer to arrest the reader from beginning to end. The initial impression that the reader has that he would read a book about a monotonous and boring life of a banker soon vanishes into thin air. The most surprising thing is that few could have expected that a peaceful and rural environment would be an eventful stage. The elements of suspense are also impressive since the deceased aunt was seen as an exemplary citizen by everybody. The truth is that she was not that exemplary.

There is nothing negative to mention about the author's plot or writing style. I found only two minor grammatical errors in more than 300 pages. There is no profanity nor heavy sexual content. Undoubtedly, the book was well written and reread several times.

On the whole, I rate Inhumanity four out of four stars. It is an exciting, addictive, and brilliant book. The previous paragraphs made it clear that there is no reason to deduct one star from the final score. I recommend this book to everyone who loves suspense and stories that address the supernatural.

Inhumanity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

Wow! As you rightly have said. The review alone has got me hooked. How I wish it included more details! This is definitely the type of book I would read
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

The book sure is worth getting arrested. The title Inhumanity spooked me and also intrigued me. Thank you for a great review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like how the author set the plot. Everything seems realistic and it is easy for readers to imagine everything they read about. Thanks for the great review.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I like the title of this book, "Inhumanity"- it's intriguing to me to think of the ways the title and the content of the book could be related. Sounds like a good book, thank you for your review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m so glad the book hooked you in suspense. I wasn’t expecting the supernatural occurrences, I’ll definitely add this to my must-read list. Thanks for your great review
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

Inhumanity- the book title is so catchy and by reading your review it seems nice read. Thank you for your honest review.
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a suspenseful novel, which is exactly what you want in a supernatural story. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

An excellent debut from Nicholas Barker. Captivating and suspenseful are words I like to hear when picking a novel. Splendid review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Lauren Hanna
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Last to Vanish
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-hanna.html
Latest Review: Mamma & Me by Eloisa B. Lucas

Post by Lauren Hanna »

This looks like an exciting read! Amazingly, the author was able to grip the reader from the beginning to the end of the novel. I look forward to checking this book out. Thank you for your wonderful review.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

I don't think I can give it a try. This book isn’t for me, as it is not my genre. However, the way you explicitly provide what we want for a fascinating review is superb and evident. May my courage to read something like this aggrandizes as time progresses. Thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”