Official Review: Miranda and the D-Day Caper

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Official Review: Miranda and the D-Day Caper

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miranda and the D-Day Caper" by Shelly Frome.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Miranda and the D-Day Caper by Shelly Frome tells the story of Miranda, a real estate agent. She finds herself trying to unravel some conspiracy regarding the senatorial vote on homeland security when her cousin shows up under mysterious circumstances.

After her cousin Skip shows up mysteriously and emotionally disturbed, Miranda goes on a mission to get to the root cause of the problem. At first, she was reluctant, but after Skip's cat is kidnapped, she realizes that there really might be more to Skip's story than she makes of it. In Miranda and the D-Day Caper, we follow Miranda as she embarks on this thrilling journey. Will she achieve her goal?

I enjoyed reading Miranda and the D-Day Caper to a large extent. It was such an exciting, captivating, and interesting read. From the aura of mystery felt in the writeup to the underlying tension in the book, it was a fantastic ride from start to finish. Although the book lacked suspense, its plot was executed so that the lack of suspense in it almost went unnoticed. I guess the tension in the book made up for it.

The book was also well edited, as I noticed only one minor error in it. I must comment that the editors did a good job. I should also mention that the storyline of the book was unique.

As much as I enjoyed the read, I had one major issue with it. I had a problem with the way the characters were described. Some characters were described, but the descriptions weren't sufficient. It was just like a casual mention of the character and, in some cases, what they wore, which wasn't detailed. Miranda, as one of the main characters, wasn't even described as she adequately. Detailed character description often helps in making a book relatable. It makes the book come alive in a way, as the reader has a cognitive view of the story.

Initially, I noticed that Skip's character was a bit difficult to understand. However, I wouldn't count that as much of an issue, as I later understood his role through Miranda's involvement. I know this might turn off some readers. But, if you have the patience to continue the read, it will make sense.

Miranda and the D-Day Caper would have received a perfect rating. However, the poor character description would make me take one point away. Hence, I'd rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to people interested in mysterious tales. It might not flow well with readers who would prefer a suspenseful read.

Miranda and the D-Day Caper
View: on Bookshelves
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

It is really curious to have a mystery novel without suspense, I always thought the two things had to go hand in hand! Also, I think that characters' descriptions should be one of the main focuses of a novel. Thanks for your detailed review!
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Miranda sounds like a brave person who tries to find the truth. Character development of Skip is a little late but there. Thank you for an informative review!
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

It is a pity that the characters were not sufficiently described. This really can reduce the quality of the book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems like an intriguing novel thanks to a plot that creates enough tension to keep the readers' attention until the end. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds like the making of a great mystery novel. I hope the author addresses your concerns and makes it even better. Thanks for the great review
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

This sounds like a book I could get into but for the poor character description. Thanks for your honest review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”