Official Review: Triangle Black by Joseph Miguel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Official Review: Triangle Black by Joseph Miguel

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Triangle Black" by Joseph Miguel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Triangle Black by Joseph Miguel is an action-packed, fast-paced novel that explores supernatural elements while interestingly highlighting several ways humans have endangered the planet, including ocean pollution, overpopulation, fake news, and an unhealthy obsession with technology. However, in this case, the consequences of our actions are a group of supernatural monsters who created God.

It all began in the 1950s. Man's evil ways ensured the start of the Cold War between Russia and America, leading to the development of nuclear weapons designed to be launched from the moon. From then till date, the Sphynx, an ancient species that played major roles in the creation of the Universe, have grown tired of watching humans exercise their free will in dangerous ways. They arrive on Earth from the moon with only one mission: the extinction of the human race. We follow their execution of this mission in Heatherton, Colorado, where Damien Winters, a hospital operator at "Mason General Hospital," fought to make it through the ensuing chaos while the Sphynx devoured humans.

For the most part, Triangle Black is an enjoyable read. The story is told from the third-person perspective while we follow Damien across the city as he gradually gains an understanding of the situation and has to ward off numerous monsters that try to kill him. Damien was quite an interesting character to follow. He also had monsters of his own, as he did not have a very smooth upbringing, lost his foster parents, and turned to alcohol and drugs to deal with his developed anxiety and depression. Getting to learn about his background and all he had been through made it easy to root for him throughout. He also possessed intriguing gifts of precognition and a strong mental capacity that would be important in fending off mental attacks from the Sphynx. There is a lot for readers to look forward to concerning world-building and character development. It was also interesting seeing Damien struggle with blaming humans and God for the situation.

The strongest and my favorite aspect of the book has to be the style of writing employed by Joseph Miguel. No detail is left out, as the author takes a lot of time fascinatingly recounting every thought and action until I got the perfect picture through murder scenes, introspective scenes, and especially action scenes. The next paragraph details Joseph Miguel's unique writing style that readers will enjoy.

"He stood over the corpse, briefly hypnotized at what was left of his helmeted head. The man’s mouth was stuck wide open, with his tongue resting to one side, like a deer that had yakked its last breath from a hunter’s precise kill shot. A puddle of crimson slime pooled near the exit wound behind his exploded fragments of skull." (Page 258).

I found about seven errors while reading. They occurred few and far between, so the book was professionally edited. I did wonder how Damien managed to kill numerous monsters as the story progressed, even though it was never stated that he had any prior experience in that area. This made the story come across as unrealistic at times, and this was what I disliked the most. Therefore, Triangle Black deserves a rating of three out of four stars. The thought-provoking themes and the story's ability to keep me at the edge of my seat ensure that I cannot rate the book any lower. Fans of action, supernatural, and thriller novels will enjoy this book. The inclusion of profanity means that the book is only suitable for a mature audience.

Triangle Black
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I find this to be such an interesting concept and I’m incredibly interested to see how it turns out. Thanks so much for the great review
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Sphynx have come to finish humans off and Damien is trying to save himself from them. I also like the narrating style, it's giving a few visuals as to what is taking place. Thank you for a concise review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel that mixes supernatural and ecological elements, but I agree that someone with no experience suddenly killing monsters stretches any suspension of disbelief. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

An intriguing premise and thought-provoking plot. I am drawn to the supernatural element and action. I look forward to reading this. Great review.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”