Official Review: A Boneless Kiss by Gerald Wixey

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: A Boneless Kiss by Gerald Wixey

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Boneless Kiss" by Gerald Wixey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Helen Mably meets a homeless man asleep on a park bench, she is spooked when the filthy drunkard recognizes her and makes unsavory claims about her past. The strange encounter stirs up horrible memories of her urge to seduce men, getting in over her head, and her father’s betrayal.

When Ex-Chief Inspector, David Mably, reports his daughter missing, Stuart, a reporter for the local newspaper, believes there is something more to Helen’s disappearance. Stuart has a vested interest in the missing woman as he was romantically involved with Helen Mably twenty years ago. When Stuart begins digging, he unearths some sinister secrets. Years ago, Helen claimed that she was raped by police officers, but the case never went to court. Sources claim that it was her father, Chief Mably, who pressured her to drop the charges.

The further Stuart digs, the more shocking and violent his findings become. His life is threatened, and no one is cooperating. Why did Helen vanish? Did it have something to do with what happened twenty years ago, and how does her father fit into all of this?

A Boneless Kiss by Gerald Wixey is a thrilling novel that will have readers questioning what is real and what is not—sometimes straddling the lines of both. It’s told from the first-person perspective alternating between Helen and Stuart. As the story unfolds, readers are transported into the past to understand Helen’s plight and then, with that information, are thrust into the present to understand the consequences of what transpired twenty years ago.

After reading Wixey’s prior work, I counted my lucky stars that I could read more of his material—this one was just as alluring as the last. Character evolution is the author’s specialty; this was especially true in Helen Mably’s character. The initial introduction of her drew an unsavory portrait, and I wasn’t sure that I’d be able to root for her in good conscience. Then little by little, she began peeling back her layers. As she evolved as a character, my opinion evolved as well, which made her more tolerable. The intense desire to be loved by her father, past traumas, and her proclivity to fill a void struck a chord with me. By the end of the book, she was not the same person she was initially—and neither was I.

Another thing that I loved about the book was the examination of what it means to be a victim of assault—the shame, the anger, and even the tendency to dilute the truth. Despite the inception of the #metoo movement, victims of sexual assault are still wildly stigmatized. I admired the author for acknowledging these issues rather than sweeping them under the rug.

My only dislike about the book was that it ended. Wixey’s books are definitely an escape, and I found myself unprepared to return to reality, but alas, all good things must come to an end. The storyline was exceptional. The novel was professionally edited, so I am delighted to give A Boneless Kiss a rating of four out of four stars. I thought the book brought to light some controversial topics, and the character development was on point.

For readers who love dark psychological thrillers, get ready for a wild ride! I would recommend A Boneless Kiss to those who are drawn to books about the human psyche. What motivates people? Is nefarious behavior intrinsic? Can villainous characters redeem themselves? These are the questions readers will find themselves asking. I would not recommend the novel to those triggered by profanity, explicit content, and sexual assault.

A Boneless Kiss
View: on Bookshelves
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This book sounds intense and intriguing. I'm curious to know more about Helen and what transpired. Thank you for the informative review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Smmwallace wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 08:58 This book sounds intense and intriguing. I'm curious to know more about Helen and what transpired. Thank you for the informative review.
Thanks for your comment!
Hana Asi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hana Asi »

Its quite intriguing ,the Im just wondering what is going on?what is real and what is not.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

The character development in this book sounds gripping and fascinating. I also think that the book tackled some important topics, and it sounds like it did so well. Your description definitely made me want to pick it up. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This really seems like an intriguing psychological thriller digging deep into the characters' minds, including their dark sides. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Shawdyk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Shawdyk »

This review peeked my interest about this book and I would really like to have a read.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

The title of this book sure caught my attention, as did the first sentence of this review. I find the storyline very interesting and intriuging, and I would like a go at this work, whose author you speak so highly of.
Lovely review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Hana Asi wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 15:40 Its quite intriguing ,the Im just wondering what is going on?what is real and what is not.
Yes, it's quite the mystery. Thanks for your comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Pluma wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 21:12 The character development in this book sounds gripping and fascinating. I also think that the book tackled some important topics, and it sounds like it did so well. Your description definitely made me want to pick it up. Thanks for the great review!
Thanks for your thoughtful comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Hhannahh wrote: 17 Mar 2021, 18:27 The title of this book sure caught my attention, as did the first sentence of this review. I find the storyline very interesting and intriuging, and I would like a go at this work, whose author you speak so highly of.
Lovely review.
Thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth

NetMassimo wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 09:29 This really seems like an intriguing psychological thriller digging deep into the characters' minds, including their dark sides. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for your comment!
Arpita Choudhari
Currently Reading: 11 Before 12
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Arpita Choudhari »

This book is filled with almost all kind of emotions and those people who are interested in getting grabbed in all emotions at one time would surely read this book
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Thanks for this excellent review.... I want to read this to find out what happened with helen!! Seems like antriquing book.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It was a wonderful review and I really hope to read this some day to discover Helen and her past. Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”