Official Review: Pending Return by S.A. Gensch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Pending Return by S.A. Gensch

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pending Return" by S.A. Gensch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pending Return is a young adult novel by S.A. Gensch. In the last summer before their senior year of high school, Mitch and Steve are getting jobs and saving up for their eighteenth birthdays, when they will finally be able to move out together and get Steve away from his horrible father. Having grown up just a few houses down from each other, Mitch’s family has always been there for Steve, who would rather live with his abusive father than be put away in foster care. When Steve suddenly goes missing one afternoon, his father doesn’t even seem to care. Mitch is convinced that Steve’s dad had something to do with Steve’s disappearance, but even the authorities can’t find evidence to suggest anything other than Steve being a runaway. With his older brother also in the process of moving out, Mitch finds himself in the midst of an emotional battle, losing both his brother (his biggest ally) as well as his best friend with no sort of closure.

Without giving away any spoilers, I think it’s necessary to mention that this book has just a tiny bit of a supernatural feel to it. I wouldn’t classify this book as supernatural, but there are definitely some moments in the story that make you question whether or not certain events were real or imaginary. Could that have really happened in real life? Even with these slight supernatural/paranormal twists, the book has a very realistic feel to it, and it reads much like a memoir. I would not be surprised at all to learn that this book was based on real events.

The main protagonist in the story, Mitch, is wonderfully portrayed as an in-depth, emotional character. It is easy to understand how helpless and lonely he feels because of his best friend’s disappearance. There is also something extremely beautiful about the strength of the friendship between Mitch and Steve that is put on display with this book. Friends are sometimes more meaningful than family, and this book demonstrates just how powerful friendship can be. In general, the emotions that are portrayed in this book are amazing, and a few tears even managed to sting my eyes as I read this book because I could so easily connect with Mitch on an emotional level.

The only negative aspect of the book was the editing. While the story itself is pretty well written, the missing commas throughout the book are extremely noticeable. There is a difference in meaning between saying, “I know Mitch,” and “I know, Mitch.” Unfortunately, the abundance of missing commas threw off the overall flow of the story.

Overall, I give Pending Return a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. With some additional editing, I would love to give it a perfect rating due to the wonderful characterization of Mitch and the emotions of friendship and brotherhood that are displayed throughout the text. I recommend this book to young adult readers who enjoy realistic fiction. Anyone who has ever had the experience of losing a friend, whether through such drastic measures or not, will feel a strong connection with this book.

Pending Return
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A mystery and some supernatural bits to form a novel that addresses some important issues. I guess it can be enjoyed by not-so-young adults as well and with another round of proofreading, it might be excellent. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
ikechukwuamarachi+55
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikechukwuamarachi-55.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by ikechukwuamarachi+55 »

I will like to know the reason behind Steve's disappearance or who was responsible for his disappearance. Nice review.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

Nice review, why did Steve disappear? I’m going to read more to find out!
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

A disappearance with a supernatural twist sounds intriguing. It is unfortunate when editing errors distract from a good story.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

A very nice review, I must say. I want to know the reason behind Steve's disappearance. Interesting plot.:)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”