Official Review: Haggy Baggy by Libbe Leah

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: Haggy Baggy by Libbe Leah

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Haggy Baggy" by Libbe Leah.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Don’t worry too much. Teenagers are unpredictable.” When your teenage daughter disappears one day before her 16th birthday, that sentence doesn’t bring much comfort to a worried mother. The emotional torment that Hagatha, Clover’s mom, goes through is cruel. Hagatha Baggard is a 42-year-old fifth-grade teacher who is well known in town for inspiring young minds. She and Clover shared a powerful bond and a unique mother-daughter relationship. Their common love for vintage restoration led them to open a store in their barn called “Haggy B’s Barn.”

Living a simple and ordinary life, none of them ever predicted the danger that would follow. An event completely transformed their lives, and the Baggard’s home would never be the same. Clover left school one day and walked home with her best friend. But she never entered the house again; she vanished. This loss took a toll on Hagatha’s mental state. The tragedy haunted her for years, affecting her life so severely that children gave her the nickname “Haggy Baggy the Bag Lady” because of her homeless appearance. She falls into psychological misery. Her dirty clothes, unkempt appearance, and the basket she carries filled with trash didn’t bother her as long as she was doing her daily walks in finding clues about Clover’s disappearance. Would she be able to find her beloved daughter? Would her mental state ever improve?

The Story of Haggy Baggy: A Woman’s Journey to Cope with The Loss of Her Missing Daughter, by Libbe Leah, is a gripping novel that will take you on a journey of despair — a journey that no parent should ever have to take. As “this story is fiction, but based on reality,” the book delivers the message: “Never think for a moment that it can’t happen to you.” Using a third-person point of view and minimum dialogue, the author succeeds in relating the unbearable pain that parents experience when their child goes missing. The police can’t find Clover, and they have no leads.

Leah’s writing style emphasizes precise descriptions of Hagatha’s neighborhood, home, and barn. Details of their garden — with “pink peonies, pink hydrangeas, wine-colored perennials, and Hagatha’s large pink clover patch that burst into bloom in early spring and summer” — left a vivid image in my mind’s eye.

The book’s originality is evidenced by the characters’ authenticity. It sheds light on the importance of community safety for children as well as exposing the dangers faced by adolescents on social networks. The realistic description of the emotional distress of Hagatha and Marcel, Clover’s father, will easily stir empathy among parents. Also, teenagers could benefit from Clover’s story.

Even though the events of the novel are thoroughly described, there is an error at the beginning of the story. Clover is presented as 15-years-old, but two years after the story unfolds, we learn that she is celebrating her 16th birthday. Furthermore, the circumstances of her disappearance are quite obscure. What happened to Clover? How did she disappear? What happened to her phone, which was found in the bushes? Perhaps a sequel might clarify these questions, especially since readers are left with such a cliffhanger.

Enough punctuation errors and wordy sentences — along with the negative points mentioned above — kept the book from a perfect score. There is only one profane word used. Three out of four stars is the rating that this thoughtful and serious novel earns.

Haggy Baggy
View: on Bookshelves
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

This sounds like an absorbing tale. I like the sound of the character development, and the in-depth description of the setting and feelings of the characters; it sounds like the book was very well put together to have the deepest effect on the reader. Thanks for the detailed review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intense thriller with some problems that could be solved with another round of editing. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Although this is about a parent's worst nightmare, your review makes the book sound intriguing. Thank you for your review.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I am a parent, this touched me to the core. I once told my wife to talk to my daughter because she is a little "out there". Parents would know what I mean. However, we just have to do our best and let God do the rest. Nice review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Even though the events of the novel are thoroughly described, there is an error at the beginning of the story. Clover is presented as 15-years-old, but two years after the story unfolds, we learn that she is celebrating her 16th birthday. Furthermore, the circumstances of her disappearance are quite obscure. What happened to Clover? How did she disappear? What happened to her phone, which was found in the bushes? Perhaps a sequel might clarify these questions, especially since readers are left with such a cliffhanger.

Oh, I was so excited about this novel! But I can't possibly read it without knowing the answer to these questions! I have serious trouble with this kind of cliffhanger.
You wrote an especially poignant review, nevertheless. It must be a horrible tragedy for any parent to endure.
Thank you!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I have a daughter the same age as Clover so this book hits close to home. I can't even imagine the feelings of despair and helplessness that Hagatha goes through trying to find her daughter. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”