Official Review: Night of Phantom by Carlos m reynosa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Night of Phantom by Carlos m reynosa

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Night of Phantom" by Carlos m reynosa.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nicholas (Nick) was born with special abilities. However, Ana, his mother, had these powers suppressed shortly after his birth, 'supposedly' out of love for him. Years later, while in high school, Nick constantly gets bullied by Ice and his gang, but everyone has the perception that Nick intentionally gets into fights, including Ana. As the story continues, Nick gets roped into Ice’s relationship with his girlfriend, Lindy, when she randomly kisses Nick to get back at Ice. In retaliation, Ice plans to kill Nick, but just before Ice deals the final blow to take Nick’s life, Nick is electrocuted and disappears into thin air.

Nick wakes up and soon realizes that he has certain abilities. It seems his special powers have been restored by the electric shock. Nevertheless, Nick’s world comes crashing down when an unfortunate event occurs, facilitated by Snake, the leader of a deadly group. With his powers, Nick plans to take down Snake and his group. However, he makes an unexpected enemy in The Dark Rider, as Snake and his crew are a crucial part of his mischievous plan. What exactly has Snake done to Nick? Who is The Dark Rider, and what is his plan? Facing enemies on all fronts, can Nick stay alive? What is the relationship between Ice's gang and Snake? Is Nick the only one with “special abilities?” Find answers in this piece of fiction called Night Of The Phantom, written by Carlos Manuel Reynosa.

I have to say that this is a great book. The author expertly weaves themes of perception, revenge, romance, and much more into an excellent storyline. The plot of the story was well thought out and easy to follow. As a result, I wasn’t confused with the sequence of events at any point. I also enjoyed the level of suspense throughout the story. I couldn’t take my eyes off the pages, as I was eager to know what was going to happen next. Additionally, Reynosa does a marvelous job with character development, and, for me, this is the strongest feature of this book. Readers are sure to be filled with emotions while they read through Nick’s experiences.

Similarly, I was pleased with the way the book ended. When you read the epilogue, it becomes even clearer that Reynosa is not done with the series, as it ends in a cliffhanger. The novel’s conclusion will only spur readers on to pick the next book of the series. I cannot wait to read the second book. Also, the novel is professionally edited, as I found only one minor error throughout the text. As a result, my reading flow was always maintained while I read.

Still, this book is not without flaws. One thing I disliked was that I felt the author included certain unnecessary sexual inferences. For example, in a particular scene, Lindy said that she realized she wasn’t dealing with Ice because Ice would never dress so poorly, and “she felt him up and realized that his dick was small.” For me, the second statement was unnecessary, and the writer could have made his point without including it.

Moreover, I think the book was a bit unrealistic with how vengeful Ice and his gang were. I mean, they were really going to kill Nick when it wasn’t even his fault that he was kissed. I don’t think kids in high school would go that far. Also, the fact that the school coach threatened Nick after watching him get bullied made the story all the more unrealistic in that regard.

Considering the positive and negative points, I think a rating of 3 out of 4 stars would be in place for Night Of The Phantom. The star I removed was a result of the issues I found with the book, as discussed in the previous paragraphs. I recommend this novel to readers that are interested in fiction books filled with action, romance, mystery, and thrill. I also recommend that sensitive readers steer clear of this one, as it contains some instances of rape and a plethora of non-borderline profane words.

Please note that this is a re-review.

Night of Phantom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The premise is not exactly original, so I'm glad to see that the novel is well developed, at least most of it, making me interested in this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Not going to lie, the cover drew me in.
I'm curious as to what special powers he develops. Thank you for the review! I enjoyed reading the summary and what points you liked about it.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Based from your review, the part where Ice and his gangs attempted to kill Nick also appeared exaggerated to me. However, in today's time, the probability of such foolishness had elevated.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”