Official Review: Through Narrowed Eyes by Kimberly Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Through Narrowed Eyes by Kimberly Williams

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Through Narrowed Eyes" by Kimberly Williams.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A young girl’s mutilated body was discovered in Ingleton, Minnesota. Sadly, she was only the first of several murders. Anthony Hatchett was the detective on the case; however, the police obtained few clues as to the identity of the perpetrator.

Anthony’s wife, Lisa, who works as a criminal psychoanalyst, has a stalker. After a weird phonecall, gifts, a note, and someone trying to break into her home, she wonders if her stalker has a connection with the murders. She doesn’t understand how dangerous her life is about to become.

Through Narrowed Eyes by Kimberly Williams is a chilling crime drama/mystery written from the third-person point of view. The author has a Master of Science in Psychology degree and has used her education to create the frightening story. The prose is simple and easy to follow.

The story jumps right into the action in the prologue with someone breaking into Lisa’s hotel room and causing her to scramble for her life. Then, it immediately goes back in time and begins laying the groundwork for the story. I loved the suspense in the book, which was captivating.

Although I enjoyed the plot and the suspense, this 134-page short book felt a little rushed and would have been better if the story was fleshed out more. For example, we weren’t given much information about the actual police investigation, other than being told several times that they hadn’t obtained any clues. They gained a lead eventually; however, readers weren't notified where it came from or any information about it. We were merely informed that the clue led to a person of interest. In addition, the police didn’t seem to think that looking into Lisa’s background to find her stalker was worthwhile, which was irritating. Some effort could have been put into following that lead, which would have made it more realistic and given the story additional depth.

Lisa, the leading character in the story, was someone that I liked but was frequently annoyed with as she took unnecessary risks. In addition, she was not the strong heroine character that I would choose. I prefer when the leading female is proactive about protecting herself, especially when knowing about possible impending danger. Lisa never seemed to put any thought into anything other than where she was at the moment. Also, it felt like very little effort was put into searching her past to figure out who might be stalking her. Personally, I would have spent every available waking moment trying to discover their identity, so that seemed unlikely to me.

Through Narrowed Eyes achieves a rating of two out of four stars. One star was removed because a few too many errors were discovered; it could use another round of editing. The other star was taken away due to the aforementioned issues. Because of the suspense and the book’s potential, I thought it deserved better than one star. I think readers who enjoy thrillers could still appreciate the novel. People who prefer to avoid books with profanities should be aware occasional ones are encountered in the story. However, they are not egregious.

Through Narrowed Eyes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

Too sad that the female lead is not strong enough. Thanks for a great review.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I like a good psychological thriller, but this one seems to have a lot of flaws. I understand your frustration about the heroine taking risks! I also get annoyed when I see this reckless attitude in books or movies :). Thank you for this engaging review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm not really into crime/mystery novels, and the lack of character development is a huge detriment to any book. I'll be passing on this one. I enjoyed reading your review; it was wonderfully detailed.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Lisa's characterization would bother me too. Thanks for the great, informative review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a thriller with good potential let down by the flaws you pointed out. A lame investigation is quite a big flaw in this kind of story. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

This sounds like it could’ve been really good, unfortunately with the issues listed I’m going to pass on it. Thanks for the informative review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Bookishkrish24 wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 10:42 Too sad that the female lead is not strong enough. Thanks for a great review.
Yeah, it surprised me. Thanks for the comments.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 12:03 I like a good psychological thriller, but this one seems to have a lot of flaws. I understand your frustration about the heroine taking risks! I also get annoyed when I see this reckless attitude in books or movies :). Thank you for this engaging review!
I know. You are thinking, "Don't do that!" and they do it anyway. :lol: Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kelyn wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 21:39 I'm not really into crime/mystery novels, and the lack of character development is a huge detriment to any book. I'll be passing on this one. I enjoyed reading your review; it was wonderfully detailed.
Thanks for taking the time to read it and giving your thoughts!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 30 Jan 2021, 23:49 Lisa's characterization would bother me too. Thanks for the great, informative review!
I appreciate your thoughts about the review. Thanks!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

NetMassimo wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 11:03 This seems like a thriller with good potential let down by the flaws you pointed out. A lame investigation is quite a big flaw in this kind of story. Thank you for your honest review!
I did expect more from the investigation, especially since her husband was the detective. Thanks for your comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Smmwallace wrote: 31 Jan 2021, 16:07 This sounds like it could’ve been really good, unfortunately with the issues listed I’m going to pass on it. Thanks for the informative review.
I hope the author works on it a little more to help it reach its potential as it has promise. Thanks for stopping by!
Avafisherman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avafisherman.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Avafisherman »

Seems almost as though this book was a failed attempt at 'Silence of the Lambs'–too bad, the plot line seems interesting! Hopefully the author can do a little reworking and get it to a better place. Thanks for the great review!
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

It sounds like this crime drama has a lot of potential to be great with a little bit of work. Hopefully, the author will fix the issues with the plot holes and the editing.

Thank you for an honest review.
:techie-reference:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”