Official Review: Unethical by Marla L. Anderson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Unethical by Marla L. Anderson

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unethical" by Marla L. Anderson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Josephine’s world was spinning out of control. She grieved the recent loss of two family members, and she questioned how long she would be able to care for her father, who had Alzheimer’s Disease. She missed work more than once to track him down when he wandered off. Matt Dawson, her boss, offered her the opportunity to get her father admitted to the Kessler Institute.

What began as a dream quickly became a nightmare. Josephine watched her father’s mental condition degenerate at a noticeable rate. The institute would not let Josephine visit him, so she hired a detective to infiltrate the institute. The detective discovered the experiments the doctors conducted in their rush to find a cure for Alzheimer’s Disease. Will Josephine’s father recover, or will he be another victim in the race to the miracle cure?

Unethical by Marla L. Anderson is a medical/legal thriller that delves into a situation that millions of American families face every day. Can we overcome the guilt we feel for putting mom or dad into a home? How much will it cost to get them good care? What happens when the institute restricts our visits? Would we want our parents to participate in a trial in the hopes of finding a cure for Alzheimer's? These themes are what I enjoyed the most about this story.

The author explained the medical experiments in layman’s terms without losing the reader in medical jargon. The ties between Big Pharma, big government, and the legal profession keep the reader intrigued and wondering if the story is closer to reality than fiction. I also appreciated the limited number of characters, which allowed the author to develop their personality and explore their motives. As the story unfolded, readers learned about the pressures affecting Dr. Kessler and his obsession to discover the cure for AD.

I disliked the description of Josephine’s break-in attempt. Things occurred too smoothly as she obtained the passkey, avoided the cameras, and got to the top floor undetected. The rest of the story maintained the suspense. The author kept me guessing about the outcome as the chapters alternated between Josephine's efforts to protect her father and Dr. Kessler's experimental procedures. Sadly, I found eleven grammar errors. The book contained some violence and profanity but no sexual scenes.

I rate Unethical by Marla L. Anderson three out of four stars. I wanted to give this book the full score for the psychological suspense and relatable situation the author created for readers. The number of grammar errors I found obligated me to lower the score to a three. I recommend this fast-paced read to fans of legal/medical thrillers. Medical students would enjoy the author's insights into the ethical questions doctors face while developing new medications.

Unethical
View: on Bookshelves
KMGR70
Favorite Author: Jeff Menapace
Favorite Book: Bad Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmgr70.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23616

Post by KMGR70 »

I enjoy smart medical and legal thrillers and this one sounds extremely relevant for many people. This subject hits home with me and is still fresh but I would still like to read this one. Thank you for your review!
La_lama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-lama.html
Latest Review: Thriving in the Storm by Bill Murphy

Post by La_lama »

Mediaeval and legal dramas are always so fascinating. It’s interesting to think about where the line is drawn between ethical and “unethical” when trying to fin the cure for a disease. Thank you for the review.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

Josephine went through several ordeals in her family life. I hope she finds consolation.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

KMGR70 wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 02:07 I enjoy smart medical and legal thrillers and this one sounds extremely relevant for many people. This subject hits home with me and is still fresh but I would still like to read this one. Thank you for your review!
I felt the same way. The theme is very relatable. I hope you enjoy this one! Thanks for commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

La_lama wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 02:33 Mediaeval and legal dramas are always so fascinating. It’s interesting to think about where the line is drawn between ethical and “unethical” when trying to fin the cure for a disease. Thank you for the review.
I loved how the author showed all sides of the issue. You can see the pressures that relatives and doctors face while searching/hoping for a cure! I appreciate your comments. Thanks!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Reviewer100 wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 13:31 Josephine went through several ordeals in her family life. I hope she finds consolation.
The author will keep you on the edge of your seat with unexpected events at every turn! Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your engaging review. The questions this book gives us is quite realistic. Josephine’s decision is understandable. It can be tiresome for those who have to keep an eye on AD patients all the time, and it can be heart-broken seeing your beloved one secluded in their own world.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sou Hi wrote: 20 Jan 2021, 22:09 Thanks for your engaging review. The questions this book gives us is quite realistic. Josephine’s decision is understandable. It can be tiresome for those who have to keep an eye on AD patients all the time, and it can be heart-broken seeing your beloved one secluded in their own world.
This story interested me since there are so many in our society dealing with this situation. The book presented a relatable situation and makes the reader reflect on what they would do if they had a parent with AD to look after. I hope you have a chance to read about Josephine and her father. Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An intriguing thriller that addresses ethical and moral issues connected to medical experimentation on a growing disease. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

NetMassimo wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 09:09 An intriguing thriller that addresses ethical and moral issues connected to medical experimentation on a growing disease. Thank you for your great review!
The author's writing style intrigues readers, making this read like a nonfiction story! I hope you have a chance to read about Josephine's struggle to help her ailing father. Thanks for your insights!
Mvictoria
Currently Reading: Midnight Sun
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Mvictoria »

This sounds like a real page-turner! I am intrigued by the plot and want to know more about the institute’s experiments!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Mvictoria wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 16:59 This sounds like a real page-turner! I am intrigued by the plot and want to know more about the institute’s experiments!
You will not be disappointed! Thanks for reading and commenting.
Claire Vaal
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-vaal.html
Latest Review: So Long Earth by Michael Bienenstock

Post by Claire Vaal »

Wow, Thai sounds like I very good book. I will definitely be putting it on my book list. Great review!!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Claire Vaal wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 22:56 Wow, Thai sounds like I very good book. I will definitely be putting it on my book list. Great review!!
It will keep you riveted until the end! Thanks for reading and commenting.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”