Official Review: The Lodge by Chris Coppel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Official Review: The Lodge by Chris Coppel

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lodge" by Chris Coppel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is winter in Scotland, and Constable Andrew is freezing in a local police station. He is in the night shift, and the only boiler in the station is not functioning well. Andrew’s wish is someone to call as this will give him an opportunity to get into the only station car with proper heating. As luck would have it, it seems there comes a time when a wish becomes a horse, and the beggar rides it. Andrew receives a call from The Lodge. One of the customers died mysteriously, and the call gets disconnected before the caller divulges sufficient information. He gets into the car immediately and begins a much-welcomed but risky drive to the place. The revelation that was in store for the young constable, the property owners, and the customers was a shocking mystery.

The hunter had finally become the hunted, and the prey never foresaw the tactics of the predator. Who is on the hunting list? Why are they there? Why is the attack happening at specific places? Are there any chances of evading the ferocious attackers? Well, you have to acquire a copy of The Lodge by Chris Coppel to know more. The book is not only thought-provoking but also packed with adequate twists and turns to capture the reader’s attention to the end.

One of the things I enjoyed most while reading the book was how the author balanced between the narration of the main story and flashbacks to reveal the background of the primary characters. This generated and maintained the fascinating suspense where I was left wanting to know what happened next in both the main story and the character backgrounds. I had to be patient, though, because I did not want to miss anything. Characterization was top-notch, and the plot was unique and well-developed. Vivid description was also employed throughout and accordingly making it easy to visualize and be inside the story.

There is nothing I disliked about the book. I enjoyed following the tale as one revelation after another was brought to light. Consequently, how the individual stories were tied together at the end and eventually resolved was astounding. It was hard coming to terms with the torture and murder of some characters, but I guess this is what made the story thrilling. After all, you were either guilty or innocent. There was no sitting on the face.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Editing was professionally done, and the language used was simple. I recommend it to all fans of mystery, thriller, and horror books. It contains gory scenes and consequently is unsuitable for a young audience and anyone who dislikes such.

The Lodge
View: on Bookshelves
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Vannaskivt
Currently Reading: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
Bookshelf Size: 803
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vannaskivt.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Vannaskivt »

Wow! This sounds like a captivating and thought-provoking mystery type book. I will absolutely check this out based on your review. Thank you!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for reviewing. This book seems interesting with its mystery and horror themes. If there are not many torture and gory scenes then I'm good to give this a try.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a really suspenseful thriller that keeps the readers' attention until the end with a great plot and interesting characters. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”