Official Review: Silent by Ron Thom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Official Review: Silent by Ron Thom

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silent" by Ron Thom.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"And so we remember, you got to get him talking so he
can't go silent when we Mirandize him. We can move the words around anytime. And bag these guys' hands."
(Ron Thom)

What would you do if you overhear this conversation between two cops who are slated to interview you for a murder case? If it were me, I would have lost my faith in the cops.

Captain Abel Wallace finds himself in a similar predicament. A smoke bomb disrupts the peace on his dinner cruise. While he is busy taking care of the situation, his second mate, Bruce, calls him for another emergency. At first, he sends the first mate to check the situation. When even the calm first mate calls him, he goes to investigate the situation. A dead body is found on the fourth deck. Cops are called to take care of the situation. While the investigation is underway, the captain overhears the unscrupulous conversation between William Verdugo and his deputy, Jack. When he hears that his words could be used against him, he resolves to keep silent. He knows that he is innocent. Hence, he believes that the real culprit would be caught soon.

Who is the murderer? Would being silent truly help the captain or would it further implicate him? How long would he be able to remain silent?

Silent is a beautifully crafted novel. It is penned by Ron Thom. The writing style is so vivid that it makes the reader feel like a character in the story. We can feel Abel's hopes and frustrations. We are touched by Harvey's unquestionable loyalty towards his friend, Abel. Jodi's dedication towards Abel is impressive. She immerses herself in Abel's case without once listening to his voice. She is always there for the silent Abel. I would like to mention that Jodi is my favorite character.

I believe that one of the most important themes of the book is the bond between parents and children. Everyone has a different parenting style. However, we have to agree that most parents have the best interest of their children in their hearts. Children may not always understand that. They may even villainize their parents. The greatest happiness that a parent can get is from his or her child. Similarly, only a child can hurt a parent in the most despicable way. The author depicts the intricate relationship between a parent and a child in a wonderful manner.

I have to say that I loved the courtroom scenes. It was a treat watching Jodi cross-examining the witnesses. Abel's silence baffled everyone including the jury. It was interesting watching the back and forth between the jury members.

I did find a handful of errors. However, they can be easily fixed with round of editing and proofreading. As there were more than ten errors, I have to take off a star.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is a treat for readers who enjoy courtroom dramas.

Silent
View: on Bookshelves
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

They say silence is golden. I don't know if this worked out for Abel, but this piece sure seems captivating. Nice work on the review 👌
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing crime thriller with complex familiy relationships that could be excellent with another round of proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
namuyong
Currently Reading: Primal Encounter
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by namuyong »

The fact that he kept silent really amazed me how did it end for him? Was the culprit found? Greate review
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I enjoyed reading your thorough review! I seems like a very interesting thriller, so thank you for introducing it.
Chigo Nwagboso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigo-nwagboso.html
Latest Review: Last minute wedding date by Anthony george

Post by Chigo Nwagboso »

This book seems to be very exciting and interesting. I would really love to know what happened to Captain Abel and his Silent technique. Great review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

Sounds like fascinating thriller story. would definitely love to give it a read. Thank you for a well written review

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”