Official Review: Not Dead Yet by Alan M. Blank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ekroberts11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekroberts11.html
Latest Review: Jane Grace: Library of Light by Trace Sonnleitner

Official Review: Not Dead Yet by Alan M. Blank

Post by ekroberts11 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Not Dead Yet" by Alan M. Blank.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The third installment of Alan Blank’s Sonny Knight Adventure series does not disappoint. This time, the case gets personal for private investigator Sonny Knight when his girlfriend becomes a person of interest in the homicide of Dr. Debase and three others at Bay Town Hospital. According to the next of kin, pathologist Brooke Lynne Lane is the last person to see the victims alive. She was also seen arguing with the doctor prior to his death. Things are not looking good for Brooke Lynne when she calls Sonny from jail. Will Sonny be able to prove her innocence? Or will the evidence stack up against her?

Sonny Knight relies on his secretary, Cookie, and his many contacts throughout Bay Town to help him gather evidence and answer questions. However, he soon finds out that the answers to his questions only lead to more questions. Follow along as Sonny works to solve the case in Alan M. Blank’s murder mystery novel, Not Dead Yet.

Blank does a great job creating and maintaining suspense and thrill throughout the novel. He kept me on the edge of my seat and wanting to find out if Sonny solves the case. Additionally, Blank utilizes relatively short chapters (22 in total) told in first person from Sonny’s point of view.

One of my favorite things about the novel is Sonny’s character. While going along on this adventure with him, the reader finds out little quirks Sonny has like how he does not know how to use a computer and refuses to use a cell phone. Physically, his signature Panama hat paired with a simple notepad and pen gives the investigator old-timey vibes reminiscent of a long gone era. I think these traits draw me to Sonny because I sometimes find myself wishing I could separate myself from modern technology. If this appeals to you like it does me, you might want to give this book a try.

Another thing to note is that even though this is the third book in the Sonny Knight Adventure series, you do not need to read the other two for this one to make sense. The author does a great job providing a descriptive background when introducing characters.

There really was not anything I disliked in the novel. I enjoyed the plot line and how I was not able to guess who did it. Sometimes authors foreshadow a little too much and I am able to figure it out, but I was pleasantly surprised to be surprised. The evidence in the story makes sense and the book is very well-edited with only one error. I highly recommend this novel to anyone looking for a good murder mystery. A good age range is probably high school and up just because there are a few suggestive comments. These would more than likely go over the head of anyone younger, and they are not vulgar or explicit in any way. Also, there is only borderline profanity in the novel.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found it to be a short and fun read that is professionally edited. The only typo is a small grammatical error in a descriptive passage. I will definitely read it again as well as check out the other two books in the series. Great read!

Not Dead Yet
View: on Bookshelves
Reitumetse_R
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reitumetse-r.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Reitumetse_R »

nice review. Sounds like a great book I must say
TaylorNichole113
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylornichole113.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by TaylorNichole113 »

This book sounds great - definitely adding it to my list!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

This book sounds like my kind! It most certainly deserves a space in my bookshelf. I'm excited just by the review. Great job with the suspense filled review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

The book sounds intriguing! I love books where the characters are relatable. It opens the ability to connect and be involved in the story. The fact that you were able to connect to Sonny in your own way is a plus for me when it comes to reading book reviews. It shows that the author understands the audience he/she is wanting to reach. The review has been amazing! Thanks for the suggestion
hannah1105
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hannah1105 »

Like Alan's two other Sonny Knight Adventure books, this one is just as great. They're all exciting right up until the very end. Each storyline captivates the reader and is a real page turner. I'm happy I read all three now. Hoping for number 4.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing mystery with a great protagonist. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

Sonny must be a hard man to find if he doesn't use a cellphone. I'm curious about how he corresponds, and I Iove the distinctness of his character. This would be an enjoyable read for me. I'm glad to have read your review. Thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”