Official Review: 103 Pilgrims by Rick Pontz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TalJB22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taljb22.html
Latest Review: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France by Michael C. Higgins, PhD

Official Review: 103 Pilgrims by Rick Pontz

Post by TalJB22 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "103 Pilgrims" by Rick Pontz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rick Pontz brings murder mystery and historical fiction together wonderfully in his story, 103 Pilgrims. Tony Tempesta is an unlicensed private investigator in Plymouth, Massachusetts. He and his partner, Mike Kennedy, are hired to investigate grave diggings happening on Burial Hill, and more specifically, to investigate someone digging up the graves of the original pilgrims. What begins as an attempt to catch some grave robbers becomes much more complicated as Tony and Mike, with the help of a few friends and also a few enemies, slowly put the pieces of the mystery together and realize just how many people are involved.

I really enjoyed the complex web of loyalties, lies, and motivations that the author weaved throughout the story. Each character seems to be pulled in many different directions because of their conflicting motives, obligations, and reputations. It makes for an exciting story where you’re really not sure what might happen next. You sympathize with many of the characters and absolutely despise a few. It’s the sort of story where you feel like no character is safe, and you’re not sure who’s going to win in the end.

The only thing about this book that I disliked was the large amount of profanity. It was too much for me personally. But the story itself is well-written and the characters are developed nicely.

I liked how the author wrote just a few flashback scenes and tied them in specifically to what was happening in the present. I appreciated the author using this sparingly so as to not overwhelm the reader with an entire second story and group of characters. The flashbacks included important information and were the perfect balance of adding to the plot without taking away from what was happening in the present storyline.

I happily give 103 Pilgrims 3 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed reading it. It kept me on the edge of my seat wondering what might happen next. I would have gladly given this book four stars if not for the several spelling and grammar mistakes I found while reading. It is well-written, but could probably use one more round of editing.

I believe any fan of historical fiction who also enjoys a good mystery or crime novel would really appreciate this book. It’s probably best left for older audiences as there are a few sexual references and scenes, though nothing is graphically described. There’s also a large amount of profanity, as I mentioned.

103 Pilgrims
View: on Bookshelves
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

This seems like an exhilarating plot. It’s definitely one for my bookshelf! I wonder what Tony and Mike will unravel.

Thank you for the entertaining review.
Star_and_Buck
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star-and-buck.html
Latest Review: Abby the Dog and Tigger the Cat by P.L. (Patricia) Rainey

Post by Star_and_Buck »

I think the character development is great and the story is good as well. Therefore, I'm looking for to it.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

I love a good mystery book, this seems to be a really interesting one. Thanks for the review!
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

This sounds like suspense and intrigue all the way! Amazing and unique storyline.
Nice review. It was appetite whetting.
Live and let live, baby.
Callme joan
Currently Reading: HO Tactics
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Callme joan »

I love mystery books. I'm looking forward to read this one just to see how the investigation of grave robbers unfolds.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing mystery novel, the kind in which secrets are revealed about some characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”