Official Review: Breakers by Barry Litherland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Breakers by Barry Litherland

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Breakers" by Barry Litherland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The past doesn't exist independently from the present. There is only 'a past' because there is 'a present,' and the present mirrors the past.

Billy McArdle gets into trouble when drugs worth millions of pounds are lost at sea, immigrants wash ashore, a yacht is burned, his accomplices are murdered, and two policemen in the line of duty are killed. After fleeing everything and having nothing to lose, he comes to Detective Inspector Jack Munro for help. When Clive, a distant relation of an indigene of the town, comes to renovate his inherited property and brings in his family from the city, strange things start happening. He has to deal with strange noises, bodies found on the shores, and his son's imaginary friend. He is sure that something isn't the way it should be. The unexpected is bound to happen with occasions of the past repeating itself and diaries springing up. October 27th will tell it all.

Breakers by Barry Litherland is a fictional novel. The plot of the book is spectacular in a way that appeals to the reader. The author's ability to combine two different storylines into one story is laudable. His choice of words is mesmerizing; it captures the very essence of the story. The description of the paranormal scenes is top-notch; it feels like a movie. From the scary sounds and images to how the characters think is perfectly written.

The character development was good; each of the characters mentioned in the novel had a role to play in the development of the story. I enjoyed every minute I spent reading this book. On the one hand, Breakers came off as a crime fiction novel. On the other, it read like a paranormal mystery. Yet, the combining effect was thrilling.

What I liked most about this book was the author's choice of words. The use of personification and synecdoche was flattering to the mind. Here's one of the many sentences that blew me away:
As the questions grow more accusatory, he retires behind an impenetrable wall of incomprehension, and his understanding and ability to manipulate the language diminishes.
The author uses this sentence to describe how the skipper of the yacht reacted when questioned. Here's another one:
My heart is hammering; it feels like an explosion is imminent.
Reading this sentence, the reader would feel whatever the character felt. The use of words was terrific, and that was what kept me glued to the end.

There was nothing to dislike about this book. The book was professionally edited; there was only one error in it. I rate it four out of four stars and recommend it to anyone who loves crime, mystery, horror, and thrilling stories.

Breakers
View: on Bookshelves
Callme joan
Currently Reading: HO Tactics
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Callme joan »

The authors a ility to express himself with words in a way that the reader can relate and actually feel the intended emotions, is very captivating. I will definitely read this book to not onluly enjoy the plot but also enjoy the author's choice of words. Thank you for the great review.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Combining two storylines can be so tricky, seems this author nailed it. Thanks for the review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

This is going to be a fun book to read. Thank you for the introduction!
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Sounds like an interesting read with good character development. Thanks for your review.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

This isn't my typical genre, but your review has me wanting to read it!
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Your review makes me want to read this book. The book sounds like a thriller of note! I'm already excited just from reading the review. Great job with the revieew.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a crime thriller that was constructed very well in its plot, characters, and even language. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Vidhi Vadhar
Currently Reading: Chanakya and the Art of Getting Rich
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-vadhar.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vidhi Vadhar »

Thanks for this great review, would love to read the book.
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

Just finished reading the book myself. I loved it! I found the constant change of point of view a little hard to follow the plot line but it certainly didn't take away from the story. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Pearl Akpan
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-akpan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Pearl Akpan »

I knew this would be an awesome read. Having read Shifting Sands by the same author, it’s safe to say that he knows just how to perfectly sculpt a thrilling crime novel. thank you for the well written review!
Anna Bookowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-bookowski.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Anna Bookowski »

After reading your review I'm so glad I just chose to read this book! I can't wait to start. I love writers that know how to use words to blow reader's mind. Thank you for your recommendation.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”